Deep fried turkey

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
It that time again and I had to dry run my new toy with a chicken. Turned out great and much less pucker factor than my propane frier.

IMG_8691.JPG

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

Standard electric frier with 2 gallons of oil. It just has a bracket to set the basket above the oil to drain

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I just bought a electric fryer, haven't even plugged it in yet. How was it compared to the propane?

Any special recipe for your rubs and injections? I think we have tried just about everything, including a bacon stuffed turkey :)

Jay5.9L

Well to be fair I over filled my propane fryer just a little so it was a little on the verge of boil over. Over all the electric is just a huge fry daddy and feels much safer. plus it has a little drain at the bottom making clean up easier. Still got the make sure you put in a fully defrosted and dry bird.

I just use a standard brine: Salt, brown sugar, few garlic cloves, a half a hand full of pepper corns. First bird was naked. Second was rubbed with this:

9668-lg.jpg

Wife and kids even though full from the first bird devoured the skin off the second. Definitely had better flavor.

Jay5.9L

What kind of oil do you use? Can you taste the difference?

First time I did peanut oil. Expensive but tasted good...a bit nutty :)
This time I used a fry oil like this:

WjI5dlpjemRrTlM1elkyVnVaVGN1WTI5dEwybHpMMmx0WVdkbEwwSmhjM05RY204dk5URTJNREpmYVhNPTJ4bGMzVmphM00,.jpg

Much cheaper and its basically flavorless. For the money and since you only going to use it once maybe twice I'd go with the fry oil. Although it does not smell as nice and nutty as you cook

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
We've always used veggie oil, and it has been great. This year I sprung for peanut oil. We'll see if I can tell the difference.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've never had a fried turkey and I don't care for turkey much anyway but maybe I'll volunteer to cook at some point and will do a fry. I'm all about ham or beef for my thanksgiving meat.