Deer pests.... have a doe that is a bit of a nuisance

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Thoughts on how to encourage her to move along?

6B284190-1ED9-4AD8-8287-1D54F508C653.jpeg462A8D22-325C-4EB2-AB26-06C9FC0EC1B3.jpegF57A0ECD-C13B-4BB8-ADB1-E01299AE7669.jpeg7621E236-4F79-462D-A12E-805E45F149D7.jpeg2C81CC50-5D95-47F4-95A2-58B0D35CD713.jpegBE783EC3-5CF9-419B-BCF3-7FB58BDBDEEF.jpeg314E5102-14B3-4079-A916-0334019CB6E5.jpeg

As you can see, she’s not real afraid of us and not real keen that we moved in. I keep our dorky dog on a line. She’s come up to me the last couple of days to “challenge “ me. So far I’ve been able to spook her

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
We used bar soap shavings and sprinkled cayenne powder around their 2 access areas. Your yard looks a lot more open so you may go through a bunch of soap.

I'd give the motion activated sprinkler a try.

Caleb

You can get different sprays if you just want to buy something. There’s also tons of DIY mixtures out there as well.

mbryson

Supporting Member
She’s been pretty bold tonight. I’ve chased her off a couple times. Just hooked up the hose to the irrigation line with a spray nozzle on it. We’ll see if she likes that?

Probably better than a BB gun or similar?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Awe man, that ho is attracting all kinds of hoodlums to your neighborhood, bringing down property values.

I'd consider calling the DWR. They would have a lot better idea of what works and what doesn't, and they might even solve the problem for you.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I think I just need to be a little patient as I'm sure she's just concerned about the fawns that are nearby. I'd just like her to move over nearer her fawns. The fawns are up and around pretty good. I'm not sure when they'll take off for other less annoying locations? In the near future (say 3-6 weeks?), the grove of trees the fawns are in will be a cul de sac.

We'll see what the hose/water nozzle does. This gal is pretty persistent, as you'd expect. We really should be filming this? (or not)

mbryson

Supporting Member
And be very careful with fawns around, deer have been known to attack dogs and people trying to be protective.

I think that explains the doe's behavior the best. She puts herself between us in the house and where her fawns hang out. If we put the dog out or we hang out on the back porch (or front porch), she's there monitoring our intent and movements. The fawns are pretty mobile but stay out of sight most of the time. We've got a few weeks before we need to start pulling their sheltering bushes out. We learned last night the water stream should prove to be an effective deterrent? I didn't hit her with the water but it was close enough to get the point across. We'll use the water for the next few weeks until the heavy equipment shows up to start working on our cul de sac. I assume when that shows up, it'll be a mute point as they'll have to move along then.

It'd be pretty tough to write my kid that's in Baltimore mission that something happened to the dog he's got a strong connection with. I'm trying to avoid that as best I can.

Where did you guys move to?

We are about 3300 s and 700 w in Bountiful. Pretty nice spot