Delta Classic - 2021

Coco

I wasn't there, so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds to me like it was based solely on appeasing other competitors, and Ryan and Nate's experience and skill level was 100% the reason for it. Which should not have been the case. The rules are based on the vehicles, not the driver's experience. If stickies were the reason, (which still sounds fishy from what I am hearing) then dock them, and keep on going. Like Ryan said earlier, put in the work if you want to have a chance at getting to their level.

In WERock I would best mid to upper pack, and Nate being on the same courses, with a different rig/driving style/spotter would still blow my scores out of the water. They work extremely well together, and know their rigs.

Yeah Old School/Delta Classic is a 'fun' event, or 'just for fun' in most people's eyes. I call BS on that. Sure it is fun, but EVERY competition I competed in was FUN! It is still just that, a competition. It will always be competitive, and with that, people that will still find ways to get their participation trophies.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok, so I try to be a person who when he learns he has made a mistake to own it, apologize when/where necessary, and try to learn from it.

Through this thread and a couple of side conversations this morning a light bulb went off and I think I owe an explanation, and an apology.

When the "split" came out Saturday Morning, it really made little sense. In trying to find some rhyme and reason to it I talked to Big Rich. He really didn't give a reason and asked my thoughts.

I preceded to point out why thought that it didn't make sense to move Steve's bronco to a different class, because there were obviously other rigs that should move first based on the DCRC rules... Tire size, full bodied, suspension, etc. I did use Ryan CJ as example of who should be in the stock class and how closely Steve's Bronco matched Ryan's CJ for a Stock class vehicle.

I would have never guessed, because Ryan's CJ meets all of Stock class specifications, that Rich would have moved him up to C+ with us! Which is obviously what happened.

As a result, I feel like I have messed with Ryan and Nate's weekend and created a problem that I didn't see coming.

So Ryan @skippy and Nate @xj_nate I truly and openly apologize for the headaches I think I have caused. I think you both know how much I respect you both as people and as competitors.

I hope you can accept my apology. It was a mistake on my part and realistically not a bunch of other folks pouting about your success...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I wish I would’ve had more time to chat with people but spotting for 2 cars in different classes and parenting didn’t leave me with too much free time.

It was good to chat with everybody I did see though!

Oh and judging was a treat too. I always say I’m the worst judge ever because I will give the competitors advice. So maybe I’m actually the best judge ever??? 🤣🤣🤣

That would have been fun to see you be a judge for sure

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Which rig was the tube buggy in the C class?

IMO, Hippy's toyota truggy was borderline class legal, although it still had all the stock parts. was it a DCRC stock class rig? no, but it was a perfect Sportsman C rig: stock axles, leaf springs, 35s, etc., but almost all the body panels were gone.

jeeperzcreeperz

also (for sake of conversation): would more "stock" or C/C+ rigs compete in the rock race if the jump was removed/bypassed? i think everyone likes driving fast, but the jump (and the landing) can do a ton of damage unless you're set up for it.
I would have definitely done the rock race If the jump was removed my rig was not made to jump

maveric

Crawler Collecter
IMO, Hippy's toyota truggy was borderline class legal, although it still had all the stock parts. was it a DCRC stock class rig? no, but it was a perfect Sportsman C rig: stock axles, leaf springs, 35s, etc., but almost all the body panels were gone.
Garrett's truck falls under the same. It is all stock underneath (except lift springs and x-over steering), not even hydro assist. The flatbed and the stickies are a moot point IMO. Yes, a little less sheet metal in the back, and stickies on these courses WITHOUT assist makes it a PITA to steer. I think we took more back ups because the tires were too sticky and he couldn't turn.
But the cut front end and no windshield should kick it out of stock class. The reason he ran it the last 2-3 years was because as a 12 year old, he didn't have the experience to be running Legends. But it is a Sportsman C rig for sure. I was surprised to see that he was in 2nd at the end of Friday.

jeeperzcreeperz

@jeeperzcreeperz earlier you mentioned you were going to move to a Doubler, I would recommend against that move and just go with traditional Atlas. Doublers in my experience arent as reliable, shifters are usually less than desireable and have a ton of other downfalls such as overall size and weight.

Realistically though take that money you would spend on a doubler or atlas and just compete at more events, We didnt win because we had digs or cutting brakes, we won cause we have experience and a solid strategy. We won numerous championships in Nates XJ without digs or cutting brakes. Experience will get you the win not fancier parts. IMO
Sounds good ya you do have a point I do need more experience and some lower gearing

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Ok, so I try to be a person who when he learns he has made a mistake to own it, apologize when/where necessary, and try to learn from it.

Through this thread and a couple of side conversations this morning a light bulb went off and I think I owe an explanation, and an apology.

When the "split" came out Saturday Morning, it really made little sense. In trying to find some rhyme and reason to it I talked to Big Rich. He really didn't give a reason and asked my thoughts.

I preceded to point out why thought that it didn't make sense to move Steve's bronco to a different class, because there were obviously other rigs that should move first based on the DCRC rules... Tire size, full bodied, suspension, etc. I did use Ryan CJ as example of who should be in the stock class and how closely Steve's Bronco matched Ryan's CJ for a Stock class vehicle.

I would have never guessed, because Ryan's CJ meets all of Stock class specifications, that Rich would have moved him up to C+ with us! Which is obviously what happened.

As a result, I feel like I have messed with Ryan and Nate's weekend and created a problem that I didn't see coming.

So Ryan @skippy and Nate @xj_nate I truly and openly apologize for the headaches I think I have caused. I think you both know how much I respect you both as people and as competitors.

I hope you can accept my apology. It was a mistake on my part and realistically not a bunch of other folks pouting about your success...

If thats what Truly happened I have no issues, Using my CJ as the basis to compare stock class rigs to is totally fine and I do it constantly. I didnt even care about moving up a class cause I was confident we would still dominate. The timing sucked we had already ran 2 courses on day 2 before we were notified.

Rock Crawling is all about weighing risk/reward and being in a different class without notification and being allowed to adjust strategy accordingly is ridiculous.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
Garrett really wanted to run the rock race, but I wouldn't let him. Watching him run around the track Sat night, I think he would have done fairly well, but his isn't built to jump either. We just replaced the front springs after him breaking them at Trail Hero from hauling a$$ in the whoops. Pretty sure he would have broke something (else) if I let him race it.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Garrett's truck falls under the same. It is all stock underneath (except lift springs and x-over steering), not even hydro assist. The flatbed and the stickies are a moot point IMO. Yes, a little less sheet metal in the back, and stickies on these courses WITHOUT assist makes it a PITA to steer. I think we took more back ups because the tires were too sticky and he couldn't turn.
But the cut front end and no windshield should kick it out of stock class. The reason he ran it the last 2-3 years was because as a 12 year old, he didn't have the experience to be running Legends. But it is a Sportsman C rig for sure. I was surprised to see that he was in 2nd at the end of Friday.
Garrett is a easy guy to root for. He sure looked like he was having fun competing with his cousin. I was excited to see you guys on the podium!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If thats what Truly happened I have no issues, Using my CJ as the basis to compare stock class rigs to is totally fine and I do it constantly. I didnt even care about moving up a class cause I was confident we would still dominate. The timing sucked we had already ran 2 courses on day 2 before we were notified.

Rock Crawling is all about weighing risk/reward and being in a different class without notification and being allowed to adjust strategy accordingly is ridiculous.
Thanks for understanding. I am feeling like a smuck this morning after I realized what I had likely done.

jeeperzcreeperz

Garrett's truck is running the AW4 with single case, 5.29's and 35's. He struggles a lot less with that setup than our college team's truck with dual cases, 4.7's in rear case and same gears/tire size.
I will shop around see what I can find.
Hopefully this don't sound dumb but this should bolt right up to my 4.0 engine correct I don't have to make any changes