Desert Racing

Cascadia

Undecided
Has anyone done it or want to do it? There is a race coming up on June 8th. I think i'm going to try it out. It's 80 miles. I know I can last 80 miles, as long as my tank of gas can I think it sounds like a lot of fun.

usraracing.org

Caleb

Check out Bonneville Offroad Racing. I often have the urge to do it but then my common sense kicks in and I realize I have no real desire to do it. :D

Cascadia

Undecided
I think it'd be fun to try it out once to see what it's like. I wouldn't be racing to win because I'm obviously not to that level but I think it'd help me to push my limits which would make me better on the trail.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I've done a few and could probably know a little bit about desert racing;). A lot of people have had questions on how to get started in desert racing and we (Sage Riders) put this together for people. For your first race I would recommend signing up sportsman. It is not a competetive class and the USRA does not score it. It is essentially an opportunity for you to experience desert racing.

We will be at the Knolls race on the 8th and you would be more than welcome to pit by us.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I went out and watched a local Enduro in Grand Junction just over a month ago. I actually registered for the race, but had never entered in one... decided I'd better watch one first! I think I could have competed just fine, but IMO running at a race pace for 80 miles will take a LOT out of you.

D

Deleted member 12904

That race is knolls. Knolls is whooped from hell. This isn't 80 miles of trail riding it hard arm pumping sand whoops. I would do sportsman for your first race and do fewer miles.

If you have ridden knolls much just to give you idea of 80 miles out their from the first parking area to the fence is only 5 miles. A 40 mile loop is puttin every yard of the knolls recreation area to use.

If you haven't riden that area much I know it well and while I'm not fast can meet you out their t show you the different areas they will run course.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive raced a few 80+ desert races, Its harder than most would Imagine, each time I get about 3/4 the way through and say Im never doing another, but then cant wait until the next... 25 miles of whoops will break a guy down fast. try it! Post up if you decide to do one, there are a few of us on here that race em.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm pretty sure I could be competetive in a desert race, as long as it was only 5 miles. I have ridden Cherry Creek a bit with my cousin who races. He does fairly well and I can keep up with him for a while. The problem is we run a loop that I think is huge and has me worn out, he says stuff like, that is a good warm up. I want to race one eventually but I know I need more conditioning. When you get tired you get lazy and that leads to crashing.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The key to desert racing is to pace yourself. You need to contain yourself to about 80% effort to have the energy and focus to complete the race safely. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint.

rholbrook

The key to desert racing is to pace yourself. You need to contain yourself to about 80% effort to have the energy and focus to complete the race safely. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint.

Exactly what I told my friends son a few weeks ago. Some of you have met him, his name is Corby. He ran Jericho nearly a month ago and placed I think 3rd in his class which was a Novice class for 19 yr old on a 450 but I can't find the results now

he wanted to try it for fun and had a riot

Tyson, go have fun and enjoy yourself

jentzschman

You should do it. I think if I were to try something like this I would enter the sportsman. Sounds like that is a great way to experience it without the pressure of actual competition. Film it if you do. That would make a great video.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Some of the guys I race with (Class 5 buggy) and I have been talking about it for ages, Vonski needs to crack the whip :D

I'm still down for teaming up with you for the BOR race, but I'm not sure they're having a bike class this year. ????? I'm planning on catching at least a couple USRA races towards the tail end of the season too, if ya wanna meet up and pit together. Let me know...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I'm still down for teaming up with you for the BOR race, but I'm not sure they're having a bike class this year. ????? I'm planning on catching at least a couple USRA races towards the tail end of the season too, if ya wanna meet up and pit together. Let me know...

You should team race Monticello on 6/22. It will be a short loop about 15 miles.

D

Deleted member 12904

No bikes at BOR this year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
If you are not in excellent condition it can be a killer. I think that is the reason most of the guys I knew that raced bikes and 4x4's long distance were on drugs like whites and uppers of some kind. You can go out and have fun but be in excellent condition and pace yourself. Know your limits and listen to your body when it screams. I never raced bikes but when I raced 4x4 it was short obstacle courses or long courses where I was so high on adrenalin and stayed within my limits that it was fun but I never won anything but trophies. Bottom line, do it but know your limits.

Caleb