Jeep detriot locker questions

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Well how about some actual questions. I mean what do you want to know that most likely depending on your driving style it might feel squirrelly? Or are you looking for some tips on how to install it?

Max Power

Bryce
Mine has worked flawlessly in my rear axle for 6 years. When it was my DD I just had to coast around corners. Before long it became habbit. They are very strong. I also hear good things about the Yukon Grizzley Locker. They are less likely to break when something else does. On the other hand Detroits have been tried and tested and have been an industry standard for forever.

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
From what I know when installed in TJs(short wheel based vehicles) things can get a little weird. I have always used Detroits in every one of my vehicles. Though they have always been longer wheel based vehicles. I have never experienced anything strange like others describe like it wanting to change lanes simple because you let off the gas, but again all of my vehicles have always been 100"+ wheel base so.

hopefully somebody with one in a TJ will post up their experience.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've got one in my 14 bolt in my 100" wheelbase Jeep. It's far better than the spool I ran and works when you need it to. I get some "weird" locking/unlocking things at times, but it works like it's supposed to. If you "coast", it's in unlocked mode. Apply power and it locks up.

I'd prefer a selectable locker, but this isn't bad at all.

thenag

I put a 14 bolt in my bronco pretty much just to get a detroit. Now it is under the cheorkee

The first 5000 miles it seems to be more obnoxious. My friend had the same experience in a ford 10.25. It seems like a something happens at about 5000 miles to it to make it engage less harshly.

The whole "lane changing" effect is less noticeable on my cherokee than on my bronco, I belive it is because of the 4 link in the rear as opposed to leafs. (the axle would load/unload and the cause the axle to walk under the vehicle, the links don't allow that) It still does it but it is more predictable.

Cherokee is stock wheel base, and slightly wider than stock, The bronco was almost 110 long and wide.

We run it with a manual transmission.

Nathan
-99 xj with stuff

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I second MBryson's post. Every blue moon or so it unlocks funny, or jerks a little, but generally I don't know it's there, in a fullsize Blazer.

Bart

I'm kind of funny about Detroits. I love them in the front with as long as you have selectable hubs. I will always vote for a selectable locker in the rear.
BTW, I HATE SPOOLS!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm going to derail this thread a little and ask:

Why that preference, Bart?? I'd prefer the selectable in front. I mean, I know you're like, new to all this offroading and everything hahah but I'd like to hear your reasons. :D

Bart

I guess I should have qualified that. It's only for built rigs with heavier axles and steering is not an issue because most built rigs have full hydraulic or steering assist.

It's an old competition preference. BTW, about 90% of comp rigs that had a selectable locker in one end and Detroit in other were set up this way. At least in the old days.

You can place your front end where you want to go but your back will track differently. An unlocked rear end will hold onto surfaces much better than a locked one, especially in reverse. Also and locked rear, even a Detroit, will push a front end through some corners causing unwanted lines.

JMHO, YMMV

CJ'sTJ

I've got a Detroit both in the front D44 and rear D60 on my 2000 TJ. On the street the the rear Detroit almost never gives me problems. It only locks on me if I give it more than just a little gas around corners.
I very happy with it and would do it again.

RockChucker

I have pretty much your exact setup. TJ, stock wheelbase, 4.56's and a Tera LCG Pro. I am only on 3" of lift though. I do have a detroit. I love it for wheelin.' I live with it on the street. It isn't horrible, but when I build my rear 60, I'm definitely going with an ARB or other selectable locker.

I have a standard trans as well, and because of this, you will notice it is back there much more often than if you were an auto. It does pop and bang sometimes, but it is pretty rare. first time it happened I thought I broke something, but it was no big deal. Like those before me have said, you will have to change your driving style. Also, if you have a full locker in the front, kiss 4wd away for snow roads. it is IMPOSSIBLE to make the jeep go where you want to go. it will tend to push really bad like Bart was saying earlier.

Detroits are really reliable. Super beefy and won't let you down. That said, I would recommend saving for a little longer to get a selectable locker for the rear. Before I got my rear detroit, i had a trac lock in the rear and a lockright in the front. It did a lot better in the snow than having both locked.

sorry if this was really scatter-brained and confusing for you. If you need clarification, just ask and I'll do my best to better help you.

Cascadia

Undecided
I think I'm the only exception but my Detroit exploded on me and grenades my rear 44. It actually happened 8 times. Everytime one of the 8 bolts sheared off there was a huge bang. On the 8th one the Jeep could no longer move in rwd. It all happened on the street though and took about 6 months from the first bang to the last bang. Loved it while it was working though, I even got used to it on snowy roads.