Detroit Electrac

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Does any one have or know anyone that has a Detroit Electrac? I am in the process of slappin' one in my front axle and was just wondering what opinions are out there. I'll be testing in Moab this weekend, I'll report my findings next week......

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I installed one in my parents jeep. It's a really great locker and they seem to like it.

When we first got it, it came with some of the older parts and didn't work out so well. It would randomly engage and pop a lot. I called up detroit and they sent me to newer parts: diff cover with adjustment, new plunger, fork, and ring. Has worked flawless ever since.

Make sure you get that adjustment just right on the cover or it will give you lots of problems.

kirk86CJ

I have a friend who has one. He had the same problem and had to get the new parts. He also had problems after using synthetic oil. He called and they said to use normal oil - works good now.
I guess they are full time limited slip, then locked when you engage it.

He is happy with it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've never owned one, but I've seen more than one broken, and I've heard that they are not very strong.

fatwreck

I have one and it doesn't work. :mad: I even have all of the new parts.

I've tried everything through their customer service department....I've got the adjusting screw adjusted just right, I've got normal oil in it.....but nothing.

It just won't lock up for me.

They sent me a new one this week.....so hopefully this one will work.

Right now, I couldn't be more disappointed. It definitely didn't help my fun factor for EJS. I felt like someone with an ARB, "Hey, is my front locker working?!" :p

On a positive note, everyone else that I've talked to that runs one really likes it and they have never really had any problems with them. So, who knows.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
fatwreck said:
I have one and it doesn't work. :mad: I even have all of the new parts.

I've tried everything through their customer service department....I've got the adjusting screw adjusted just right, I've got normal oil in it.....but nothing.

It just won't lock up for me.

They sent me a new one this week.....so hopefully this one will work.

Right now, I couldn't be more disappointed. It definitely didn't help my fun factor for EJS. I felt like someone with an ARB, "Hey, is my front locker working?!" :p

On a positive note, everyone else that I've talked to that runs one really likes it and they have never really had any problems with them. So, who knows.

I couldn't get it to work properly for a few days even with the new parts. I kept going back out and re-adjusting it every day hoping it would work. Finally, I figured it out. It's such a fine tune adjustment that you can't really even notice that you did adjust it. I know, sounds wierd but I finally got it to work. The adjustment pin really is that sensitive.

Also make sure your shift ring isn't bent. That was another problem too.

fatwreck

Herzog said:
I couldn't get it to work properly for a few days even with the new parts. I kept going back out and re-adjusting it every day hoping it would work. Finally, I figured it out. It's such a fine tune adjustment that you can't really even notice that you did adjust it. I know, sounds wierd but I finally got it to work. The adjustment pin really is that sensitive.

Also make sure your shift ring isn't bent. That was another problem too.

The thing about the adjusting screw is that it really only controls the unlocking. It has nothing to do with it locking....which is the problem I'm having. I've adjusted that thing a bunch and I know that I have it dialed in to exactly what they want.

The shift ring isn't bent.

I was pretty skeptical when he told me to switch out the oil I was using for just plain old oil.....but I did it the night before I left for Moab....knowing damn well that that wouldn't solve my problems....and sure enough, it didn't.

Like I said, a ton of people have had great success with these lockers.....just not me. :confused:

fatwreck

yellowbronco said:
Hey, thanks for the input guys, we'll be back from Moab Mon evening, I'll post how it did......or didn't :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Any word on how it did or didn't do?

Mine is in the process of being replaced right now. I took it to someone (I know, I know...that sucks) that has some experience with electracs and he said that when he took the old one out there was nothing there that would make him think that it shouldn't work.

Hopefully the next one will be better.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I have done a few and I'm not impressed, I also don't like the big electric actuator to smash on the cover. As for the ARB comment it's all in the install, if you have someone who know's what they are doing no problems. I hope you have better luck with your new locker.

Andy

Andy said:
I also don't like the big electric actuator to smash on the cover
...I didn't like the looks of that either but in yellowbronco's case the actuator is very well protected...thanks to :confused: ....... :D..BTW Chris...I think the driveshaft in your "cop car" will work for me!! ;)...might have to flip it over with the backhoe to get a better measurement.. :rofl:

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Andy said:
...As for the ARB comment it's all in the install, if you have someone who know's what they are doing no problems....

My setiments exactly... :D I love my ARB's.... three years without a single compaint... (other than $$$)

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
brian said:
...I didn't like the looks of that either but in yellowbronco's case the actuator is very well protected...thanks to :confused: ....... :D..BTW Chris...I think the driveshaft in your "cop car" will work for me!! ;)...might have to flip it over with the backhoe to get a better measurement.. :rofl:
Dude! the "cop car" is my new extreme rock buggy!! You can have the driveshaft but I'll need it back for Upper Proving Grounds :D Anyway, the Electrac performed flawlessly all weekend, always engaged, disengaged, and never broke, so I am very stoked!

fatwreck

yellowbronco said:
Anyway, the Electrac performed flawlessly all weekend, always engaged, disengaged, and never broke, so I am very stoked!

An update on mine.....after the new one was installed and I took it out on the trail....it worked flawlessly for me as well.

We'll see how it does on 21 rd. in the next couple of weeks. :D

Bone Down

I just caught this post, I installed mine and it has worked proper from the word go.

I to dis-like the actuator in my front setup (waggy 44 SOA), I have to remove the inside u-bolt to remove the rear actuator bolt, the spring and perch are in the way so I have to run the actuator in the down position (vulnerable to rocks).

So if you are able to install it in the front with the actuator in the up position you are golden, same for the rear.

My plans are to move this one from the front to the rear, and look into either an eaton or arb for the front.

Bart

cruiseroutfit said:
My setiments exactly... :D I love my ARB's.... three years without a single compaint... (other than $$$)

X2, I've never had a problem with an ARB that wasn't my fault. Love them.