Dezert K5

NYCEGUY01

Finally back to work on the Dezert K5.
1980 K5 Blazer project.

Spent all my time I worked on it last summer getting the suspension and trans/ transfer and axles all done.

Has Deaver long travel leafs and good fox shocks. Right about 4-5" of lift.
The axle is about 1.5" forward of stock and the rear is 1"ish rear of stock.
40" tires on Racelines and trimmed metal to clear them and keep it as low as reasonably possible.

14 Bolt rear and Dana 60 front. 4.56's and lockers.
Crossover steering and a new steering box.
Mike did some machining magic for me there as I needed a custom spacer and arm to clear the thick ass leaf packs.

It has a brand new small block in it and I swapped out a 465/205 for a new th400/205 setup I already had.
I was fairly happy with it even though it needed a bunch more power.

I drove it literally 3 times and then a few lifters starting making some unhappy sounds. It was also running pretty terrible at that point.
Drained the oil and cut apart the filter and it all looked fine, no extra sparkles anywhere.
For some reason 3, possibly 4, lifters had collapsed with like 200 miles on them.

SO...... now my brand new 350 needed a cam/lifter swap, or at least new lifters at a minimum.

Clearly, The only logical thing to do here is build a new 6.0/4l80e combo for it, so that's what I did...
They have both been ready to install for MONTHS now just sitting in my garage...

I had really planed to use a 9" rear and chromo axled Dana44 front on 37's but that Damn Wagoneer on 40's build here ruined that..LOL
And since I'm a Chevy guy here we are...

Anyway, after months of sitting still she started to come apart today for the new Motor/trans...

Hopefully, I can get it together without it taking all summer...

Attachments

• blaze.jpg
    blaze.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 40
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 39
  • rs.jpg
    rs.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 40
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 41

NYCEGUY01

Over the weekend I got the old drivetrain pulled out.
I cut out all the rivets and then replaced the engine crossmember with the ORD unit with WAY more clearance for steering.
Also got the steering box brace in while there was room to work.
New lower motor mounts are all bolted in and waiting as well.

Sunday I swapped out the shifter shaft in the 4l80. The one in the trans is the super long one for use with a neutral safety switch on the side of the trans and I dont need that for this application so Id rather have the short one so it isnt hanging way out and getting up against the exhaust etc...
Went ahead and put on a deep Alum pan while it was apart.

Today after work I ran to the tire shop to munt up a new set of custom wheels and tires. It wont fit through my garage door on the 40's so these are my new custom 25's, I bet they will look awesome once installed..LOL

This weekend Ill get it all pressure washed and then set the motor, trans, and transfer case and roll it inside to start on all the wiring and gauges etc....25s.jpg

cross.jpg

NYCEGUY01

Not nearly as far as I wanted to get today but made some progress.

After 9 things in a row went wrong the New 6.0 / 4l80 / np205 is all bolted together and ready to be set in frame tomorrow.

I then went out back and got the Blazer on its custom 25's for rolling around and hopefully through the garage door tomorrow...

Baby steps...lol

mot.jpg25s.jpg

NYCEGUY01

Out of ambition today...lol

Motor, trans, and transfer case are all mounted.
Transfer case ended up exactly where it was before with the motor a couple inches forward of stock.
New drivelines still fit perfectly.

I was worried about the front CV clearing the 4l80 with the deep alum pan and I was happy to see it clears, By 1/4", but it clears.
I spun it around and raised it up higher that the axle will ever go and while close, its good. If I ever lose a cv or front U joint my trans pan will probably get killed though.

This one fought me tooth and nail which is weird, they usually go together fairly easy. I had to loosen the motor mounts from the truck and the block finally to get the main bolts in and then set it down and then snug it all up.

Seems like my 45 year old frame, with an aftermarket crossmember, and aftermarket mounts on the frame and block had some tolerance stacking...lol

Drug it into the garage and with the 25's I had an easy 3" to spare getting through the door.

Now on to a pile of wiring, plumbing and everything else that seems to take forever on these swaps...lol

Next weekend should net some more progress hopefully....

Attachments

• blaze mounted.jpg
    blaze mounted.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 15