Jeep Diagnose 4.0 tick, or a decent shop that can?

DerekM

formerly dirk124
My TJ has had an annoying tick ever since I bought it. I think the tick has become worse over time, and I haven't been able to find where it is. I am pretty sure I have it down to 3 possibilities. An exhaust leak, Lifter, or Valve tap.

This tick is erratic, It starts once the engine is warm and gets louder, then it stops suddenly. After a few seconds it starts up quietly, then gets louder and louder until it stops again. It does speed up with the RPM when I rev it.

Does anyone know how I can diagnose the leak myself? Is it difficult to fix? Or, where is a reputable shop that I can take it to, located in Utah County, and preferably one that knows the 4.0.?

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I have the 2 piece header with the 2 precats that came in the newer models. From what I understand, these don't crack as easily as the older ones. I did a seafoam treatment and noticed a little smoke coming out where the header meets the downpipe. Could this be the ticking noise? It doesn't start until it's hot though.

eatrocks

they still crack both of mine were when I pulled the motor and we hear about lot of them that are

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
check the cam shaft position sensor, the shaft that goes down to the oil pump from the sensor has bushings that go bad. had mine take out 2 cam shaft sensors before i figured it out