Diesel in a CJ7

sibeta

The guy that had the 4bt in his cj7 was from New Mexico. I remember seeing him at the Cedar City event. I thought it was so cool, I just sat there and stared forever at his jeep.

sixb

Will work for beer!
My vote are the V8 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesels (I can't be serious right? :ugh:) second to the 4BT.

The 6.2/6.5's can be found in almost any fullsize GM vehicle made from 82-00 (and still found in AM General's Humvee's) they are everywhere! Non turbocharged they are a little short on power, but with the CJ's weight I think you'd be okay. They will bolt up to almost every V8 GM bellhousing, and are fairly lightweight.

There are certain years to avoid for reliability issues (ask me how I know! :rolleyes:), but for the most part they were very reliable. Mechanical injection up to 93 means wiring is a breeze and SVO/WVO can be ran reliably.

Search here for more info http://thedieselpage.com/ There are several members here that have these engines in everything from Landcruisers to Jeeps.

Just a thought,

Andrew

Here's a link to a sicnicks truck with a 6.2 turbo diesel.

TimB

Homesick
Yeah, that's probably what I was thinking of. Just remembered it had a different motor, and it was on fire. I was just sitting here thinking it must not have been diesel, since the stuff doesn't burn... :ugh:

I know that guy - he has a canpground at the wheeling spot in Disney Oklahoma. His name is Hogan, and the buggy is the Green Hornet. It is the most booty fab buggy. He has 2 rigs with the rotary motors in them - noisy and not really very effective. They do get attention though.:)

Bart

Did he call it the Green Hornet, or the Killer Bee, or something like that? I think I saw it on fire in Farmington once.

The CJ with the 4bt was a tan color. The Killer Bee was the flatty buggy that belonged to Ned Bacon, sbc I think in that one.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Bart's right, it was tan. I was looking for the video last night... had to be on one of the old comp videos I've got kicking around.

TimB

Homesick
I like the sound of the Detroit diesel. Sounds like a drag car. Here is a thread on one in a CJ. They have a ton of diesel swaps on there.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709193
Seems to be the same one TimB knows but posted on Pirate with video.

That is the same one - and I've seen that vid before on some other site. That rig is a little rough but the swap is excellent. I would never have thought a 3 cylinder would make the power he is getting. Very cool.

spencevans

Overlander
The Mitsubishi CJ-3b's came with a Mitsubishi Diesel, I believe they used a 2.5 liter 4d56 turbo diesel application which is the engine that I have in my truck. Yeah it's small but it can make decent power.

redd7

a 4bt is a great choice as far as support and economy. With stiff springs you can mount the engine towards the bottom of the frame and still have 7-8" of upward travel. The intake tube from the turbo will be about 3" below the hood.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Jeff Woods from TTC this year has a 4BT in his CJ5

Attachments

• 129_0811_40_z+ttc_1966_kaiser_jeep_cj5+side_view_drivers.jpg
    129_0811_40_z+ttc_1966_kaiser_jeep_cj5+side_view_drivers.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 129_0811_41_z+ttc_1966_kaiser_jeep_cj5+engine.jpg
    129_0811_41_z+ttc_1966_kaiser_jeep_cj5+engine.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
I'm on swap #2 with the 4BT, defintiely a big fan. It was loud but the limited power band never bothered my because it was at peak power by 1800s which I thought was just killer. Went 90 at 22-25 mpg too in my full size wagon. They are also really easy to tweak as well for more power and RPMs up to 3200 pretty easily. It is a long stroke diesel though just like a Dodge...

I'd recommend it but you need 4-5" lift bare min usually, unfortunately...

Other that that there is a real lack of decent diesels. The Isuzu is nice. We did one of these into a FJ62 with old man emu (2.5" of lift, & that's it). It turned out to be a hair weak but we put a bigger turbo off a 4BD-2T and it woke right up, also just like a Cummins, and hauls ass now as well.

Again a lot of that good stuff is on my forum, www.4btswaps.com

cheers, a