Dilema...TJ or ZJ

Máscara

TJ Pros (over a ZJ): Full frame, removeable top, roll cage (stock but better than nothing), better resale value, ???
ZJ Pros (over a TJ): V8, 105" wheel base, seats 5, cargo area, AC, ???

I want the TJ to have a V8 and stretched wheel base but that is a lot of work, hence the dilema. I want 3/4 - 1 ton axels (so that would have to be done to either of them) and 37's. Street legal is necessary. The TJ already has 4:1 tcase, lockers, mild lift, 33's.

I have both vehicles and both are paid for, so now which one do I sell and which one do I build? (Call to Cody)

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
do what I did, Get you a ZJ wheel it for a few years, then after you have rolled it enough times that the doors dont open anymore pull the engine and put it in a wrangler, I still had one door that would open, my wife was embarrased with it and allowed me to spend my kids college on another project.(exageration).

Attachments

• yj wade tub 2.jpg
    yj wade tub 2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 0002817-R1-040-18A.jpg
    0002817-R1-040-18A.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0428resise.jpg
    100_0428resise.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

hoxviii

Ford-natic
No matter how much more I like the look of ZJ's on 35's+, I'd still do the TJ. Who cares if it has lockers and a lift? You're swapping axles and lifting more. Sell the lift, sell the lockers/axles, sell the ZJ, and fund the project. Besides, then you don't have to worry about doors opening or not

Also it comes to glass. I've never lost a windshield wheeling, but I've lost every other piece of glass on an F-150 (rear glass included). It would be nice to just not have to worry about it even being there.

Sling a 302 or 350 in the TJ, push the axles forward/backwards, and go crazy.

Justin

hoxviii

Ford-natic
What are the used prices on the unlimited? I'd think they'd be too high to justify buying one just to spend more money modding, especially when he already has a TJ. I'll admit, i don't pay attention to the Jeep market but that would be my first instinct.

Justin

Caleb

What are the used prices on the unlimited? I'd think they'd be too high to justify buying one just to spend more money modding, especially when he already has a TJ. I'll admit, i don't pay attention to the Jeep market but that would be my first instinct.

Justin
They are just a little more than a regular TJ. So he could sell both and buy an LJ and have everything but a V8 (most LJs have A/C ;) )

My vote would be for the LJ as well.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
No matter how much more I like the look of ZJ's on 35's+, I'd still do the TJ. Who cares if it has lockers and a lift? You're swapping axles and lifting more. Sell the lift, sell the lockers/axles, sell the ZJ, and fund the project. Besides, then you don't have to worry about doors opening or not

Also it comes to glass. I've never lost a windshield wheeling, but I've lost every other piece of glass on an F-150 (rear glass included). It would be nice to just not have to worry about it even being there.

Sling a 302 or 350 in the TJ, push the axles forward/backwards, and go crazy.

Justin

GLASS is an Issue, my ZJ ended up with plexi windows all the way around, cause of the High cost of glass,(and Im in the glass biz) and I knew i would just knock them out agian,

Just last memorial weekend I flopped my 4runner and knocked all the windows out of it....I give up.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm the ZJ guy, and I vote TJ or LJ

oh ya, and a ZJ is 107"

Last edited:

Máscara

Hmm. An LJ huh? Hmm. Damnit Brett you've complicated the dilema with a great idea. My neighbor has an LJ after rolling an XJ on 35's and he loves it. I hadn't considered that one... Anybody want to buy a TJ and/or a ZJ?

Máscara

Best price on KSL is an 04 LJ bone stock for $15000. I don't think I could sell both my Jeeps for that price. Especially when it will take another $3000 - $5000 for lift lockers and tires. Too rich for my blood. Sounds like it's back to sell the ZJ and build the TJ which is still a great option. Thanks for you input.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Good luck with selling the ZJ. I have a 2000 WJ grand for sale for $1000 under what it books for and no one has even called on it. Every one knows they suck of fuel and there are three of them for sale on the street I have mine for sale on. I know where I can pick up two ZJ's right now for $1500 for both, Id wheel it and kill it.