Ding and Dang

Samersen

My wife and I are planning on camping tomorrow night and then hiking ding and dang canyon Saturday morning. Has anyone hiked these, what are peoples thought? I have read a lot online and have a decent idea of what we are in for. But I do like personal experiences from you guys, and thanks to Six-String Steve he has encouraged just this type of trip that is not all about crawling.

GAR

It's awesome. Super fun. I took our 12 year scouts and they loved it. We did it in the spring and there was water up to our arm pits. You'll probably be ok now though. I would take a 30ft rope if you have one to help lower yourselves or stuff down. It wasn't too hard, just a few spots to be careful. Have fun!

GAR

Sorry, not a 30ft drop, there are a couple 10-12ft drops in the return canyon (can't remember which is Ding and with is Dang. You can kinda shimmy down by putting your weight against both sides of the slot canyon. You could probably do it with a dog if you could hand it down to the person below, might be a little sketchy though. The common route is up the canyon to the right ( at the fork in the beginning) I think this is the easier way

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Both trails are great and usually not very crowded :cool: I personally think it's best to go up Ding then down Dang.

I always enjoy taking my Golden though Ding but I'm certain he/I would have no fun on Dang due to all the tall ledges and drop offs. If you don't have a harness for your lab I'd recommend getting one. It makes it a lot easier getting them through the technical sections.

Have fun!

Samersen

We do have the harness for her. I guess we will head up ding and see how far she likes coming down dang if we need to we can just turn around and head back.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Both trails are great and usually not very crowded :cool: I personally think it's best to go up Ding then down Dang.

I always enjoy taking my Golden though Ding but I'm certain he/I would have no fun on Dang due to all the tall ledges and drop offs. If you don't have a harness for your lab I'd recommend getting one. It makes it a lot easier getting them through the technical sections.

Have fun!

Ditto that.

Samersen

Just got back! We only made it up and down Ding. Your dog is a nut pictures to follow. She was like a kid in a candy store, running up and down the canyon and jumping into the puddles. Thanks for all the info guys!

sixstringsteve

Glad you made it back safe and sound. Did you get wet at all? If I recall, Ding has bypasses to all the water spots.

Dang has some pretty good ledges that would make it really tough with a full-size dog. My dog loves that area, he can't get enough (though he doesn't love being lowered off a 30' ledge). I need to finish and edit my video of that trip, it is one of my favorites.

If you're looking for more great easy slots, check out out spooky and peek-a-boo in Escalante, off Hole in the Rock road.