Dirt Bike riding tips & tricks

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I need some help with proper technique.
I had a pretty bad get-off last weekend. I came up too fast on a ditch/ravine. I knew I couldn't stop in time, so I twisted the throttle and tried to jump/wheelie. I ended up casing it on the backside of the ravine, which bucked me off and hurt pretty bad.
What is the right answer? Should you hit the brakes and slide into the ravine and crash at a somewhat slower speed?..
I am kind if thinking that trying to punch the top of the ditch with the front tire would take a lot of the hit, but seems like that may have a front flip effect.
Is there a right answer? or is it just a screwed no matter what situation?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think you did the right thing, it's hard to react with such limited time and getting to where you clean something like that is not easy. If you could have, it may have helped to preload the suspension before bashing thru the ditch at speed.... IMO?

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
In my opinion; I would have done the throttle twist too and opted to let the suspension take the grunt. That said, if you get bucked off from a full-squat hit, you need to tighten up your rebound valving so it actually dampens the cycle like it's meant to do. Hard to say how much without actually seeing the bike in person and what it's doing, but I'd say 2-3 clicks would do.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The really really fast guys told me a few times, if you click a gear earlier, you'll just skip over the ravine.

But for me I'd do the same thing you did + Seat bounce it and try to hop it.

Chance is right though: you may need more bottoming control so it doesn't go full bottom and get you Huck a Buck. That's something to talk about with your suspension tuner. I personally don't think you have enough rebound damping for that newer heavier spring you've swapped on there.

Tonkaman

I need some help with proper technique.
I had a pretty bad get-off last weekend. I came up too fast on a ditch/ravine. I knew I couldn't stop in time, so I twisted the throttle and tried to jump/wheelie. I ended up casing it on the backside of the ravine, which bucked me off and hurt pretty bad.
What is the right answer? Should you hit the brakes and slide into the ravine and crash at a somewhat slower speed?..
I am kind if thinking that trying to punch the top of the ditch with the front tire would take a lot of the hit, but seems like that may have a front flip effect.
Is there a right answer? or is it just a screwed no matter what situation?
You did the right thing. You just can’t win them all

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It is all about confidence and commitment. The moment you hesitated you lost the forward momentum to carry you over it. The old saying “when in doubt ........ throttle out” will get you out of trouble more often than it will get you into it. With that said, they are a few other factors that can play into the outcome. Body position, suspension, instincts are a few of them.

The last 8 months I have learned a few things from chasing this road to Loretta’s with my son.

1. Unless you believe what you are being told and step out with some faith, you will always be limiting yourself . All the talent in the world is nothing without confidence.
2. Once you push past a barrier it becomes the new normal.
3, the sooner you change that new normal the more confident you will become.
4. Traveling 7500 miles over a 4 week period takes it mental toll on you...... especially when you have problems along the way.

Man....I need to get out and do some riding.

Tonkaman

It is all about confidence and commitment. The moment you hesitated you lost the forward momentum to carry you over it. The old saying “when in doubt ........ throttle out” will get you out of trouble more often than it will get you into it. With that said, they are a few other factors that can play into the outcome. Body position, suspension, instincts are a few of them.

The last 8 months I have learned a few things from chasing this road to Loretta’s with my son.

1. Unless you believe what you are being told and step out with some faith, you will always be limiting yourself . All the talent in the world is nothing without confidence.
2. Once you push past a barrier it becomes the new normal.
3, the sooner you change that new normal the more confident you will become.
4. Traveling 7500 miles over a 4 week period takes it mental toll on you...... especially when you have problems along the way.

Man....I need to get out and do some riding.
You are one hell of a good dad to provide such opportunities to your kids! Good job man

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
You are one hell of a good dad to provide such opportunities to your kids! Good job man
Thanks. I am just trying to do for my kids what my dad did for me. Jack has matured a ton since setting out on this journey. He now understands what commitment and hard work means plus how important it is to get up when you fall down both mentally and physically. We have had some big fights along the way but it has made our relationship stronger.

gatchmo5710

Tip of the day???: Found this out recently and I love it.... RuGLYDE rubber conditioner. Sold at napa. Use it during tire removal and install as a lubricant. Makes the job so easy, soft on hands, wont rust or hurt rubber/metal/tube, cleans rubber, etc. 15$ for a gallon. Put it in a spray bottle and let the popped tubes be history!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Tip of the day???: Found this out recently and I love it.... RuGLYDE rubber conditioner. Sold at napa. Use it during tire removal and install as a lubricant. Makes the job so easy, soft on hands, wont rust or hurt rubber/metal/tube, cleans rubber, etc. 15$ for a gallon. Put it in a spray bottle and let the popped tubes be history!

Interesting. It's a liquid form, obviously. The spray bottle would be a nice way to apply it.
I have murphy's lube, it's a gel like substance. stick your fingers in it, and rub it on.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You guys may already run mousse tubes. Here's a trick to making them last longer.
Pull your rim tape and replace it with Gorilla Tape. Make sure you carefully cover all the holes and around the spokes. This way your bib mousse lube won't squirt out and dry the mousse out and make a big mess.IMG_20180719_111940.jpg

Last edited: