Dirt bike talk: 4 stroke shoot out..

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
A friend of mine is looking into a new bike, and I would really like to know what I am talking about when giving him advise...
He is a fairly skilled rider, 200-220lbs, I would guess.
-Looking for a big boy bike (larger CC)
-4 stroke, but must be fuel injected.
-electric start would be desirable if available.
-used mostly for trail type riding.
-No Honda's.
-$4,000 give or take price range

My quick and limited research tells me that 2010 or newer is when the jap bikes went to fuel injected. I have always been a yamaha fan, so I tend to steer people that route.. but after watching Stratton have sooooo many issues with his bike, I am cautious of the yamaha yz450f. My BIL just bought a 2011 yz450, but I haven't ridden with him yet to see how it does.
The WR450 looks like it would work for him, but the price is a little out there. There are some good '07's, but those wont be fuel injected.

I rode my cousins 2011 kx450 for a minute today, and it seemed like a good bike. Are the Kawi's worth it?

The KTM's seem to be too high priced in the fuel injection models..

What else should I be helping him look at?

Thanks! As you know, I am not well learned on the 4 strokes..

jeeper

War? Don't be so offended.

I just want to make sure he gets a bike that will actually start!!!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Those red riders are kinda like that. I had to get a Red Grizzly so my Honda friends wouldn't be offended. TEAM BLUE all the way, or all the way to my KTM.

Back to the topic at hand. Tell your friend to buy an Orange 2 stroke since they are obviously the bike all the cool kids ride.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I think my bike just had problems, I did finally get them all sorted out though.
If I was to get a track bike or I didn't convince myself that I needed an electric start, I'd get another YZ450f, no contest.
get newer than 2010 though: seems like everyone had teething problems at first. Then stay away from the air fork bikes. It seems like everyone but track only guys HATE them.
It'll be a harder search at 4k to find a 2011+ 450 though

jeeper

There are some nice Wr450's ('07ish) for $3-4k.
I have seen a few 2011 yz450's for sub $4k also.

Caleb

The wr would be a tough one to beat for the money. They are a bit heavier and certainly don't ride like a ktm, but they would be everything you'd ever need for a good trail bike.

rholbrook

The wr would be a tough one to beat for the money. They are a bit heavier and certainly don't ride like a ktm, but they would be everything you'd ever need for a good trail bike.
I rode my 2006 WR450 for 7 years with absolutely no issues. Great bike. Yes its heavy (268lbs wet) but very capable. I have seen the Orange Light with a 2 Stroke but if I was not into smokers I would own another one in a heartbeat

Caleb

Exactly, I've known several of you that had sported the wr for some time (you, Paul, Noah). You've all moved on to KTMs(Noah's now on a blue KTM) but I too would own one if it fit what I was looking for.