Dirt Muscle Car

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This has been on my mind for years, thought I'd put it down in words. Not sure how many of you guys follow David Freiburger and some of the offroady-cars he's built, his cars are a big influence with this idea. What really turned me onto this are some of the cars that have raced in the NORRA 1000, aka the Mexican 1000. There have been a bunch of old school muscle cars built up for offroad racing and I absolutely LOVE the look. Here's a bit of what I'm getting at.... basically a muscle car that has been raised, wheel wells cut to clear bigger tires and some prerunner-type bumpers, offroad lights, roll cage, stripped interior, etc.

Riley-NORRA_13_5-10-13.jpeg

pic3-nova.png

a10fb3d93dd068346bd18b64ecb6d1be.jpg

102772392.jpg

And one of the Freiburger's cars, the Challenger.

5fef74e0ad8d8187be56ab7c57c39d39.JPG

Basically, I think it would be awesome to have a beater muscle car to build up like these, weld up the rear diff, put some "big" offroad tires on it and a reliable engine & trans and cruise around the dirt roads with it, hanging the rear end out. I could see myself building up a beater GM muscle car like this in the near future. I really love this idea.... but it has to be the right car, a beater that isn't worth much to begin with. ( Just don't suggest I go this route with the '66 El Camino.)

DAA

First time I ever drove the Pony Express from Vernon to Gold Hill was in a 68 Chevelle on Mickey Thompson Sprint car tires, skyjacker air shocks, 350, powerglide, posi, 4.10s. Dukes of Hazard for 100 miles. Good times! I rallied the SHIT out of that car on dirt all the time. Too much fun!

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This has been on my mind for years, thought I'd put it down in words. Not sure how many of you guys follow David Freiburger and some of the offroady-cars he's built, his cars are a big influence with this idea. What really turned me onto this are some of the cars that have raced in the NORRA 1000, aka the Mexican 1000. There have been a bunch of old school muscle cars built up for offroad racing and I absolutely LOVE the look. Here's a bit of what I'm getting at.... basically a muscle car that has been raised, wheel wells cut to clear bigger tires and some prerunner-type bumpers, offroad lights, roll cage, stripped interior, etc.

Riley-NORRA_13_5-10-13.jpeg

pic3-nova.png

a10fb3d93dd068346bd18b64ecb6d1be.jpg

102772392.jpg

And one of the Freiburger's cars, the Challenger.

5fef74e0ad8d8187be56ab7c57c39d39.JPG

Basically, I think it would be awesome to have a beater muscle car to build up like these, weld up the rear diff, put some "big" offroad tires on it and a reliable engine & trans and cruise around the dirt roads with it, hanging the rear end out. I could see myself building up a beater GM muscle car like this in the near future. I really love this idea.... but please don't suggest I go this route with the '66 El Camino.
YES. ALL THE YES.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
First time I ever drove the Pony Express from Vernon to Gold Hill was in a 68 Chevelle on Mickey Thompson Sprint car tires, skyjacker air shocks, 350, powerglide, posi, 4.10s. Dukes of Hazard for 100 miles. Good times! I rallied the SHIT out of that car on dirt all the time. Too much fun!

- DAA

That sounds like an amazing trip! That's exactly what I have in mind, dirt road, road tripping and just having a blast doing it.

DAA

That sounds like an amazing trip! That's exactly what I have in mind, dirt road, road tripping and just having a blast doing it.

It was a pretty epic trip. My first solo overlanding expedition :D. Spent the night at Wilson springs. Carton of smokes, can of pork and beans, few Hostess fruit pies, a Zippo lighter, a blanket, a Utah state road map, and a five-can of gas in the trunk and I was good to go for some overlanding :D.

- DAA