Dish Internet

R

rockdog

Anybody using Dish internet? I have dish for our TV and it has been OK. They have been advertising internet service lately and I have been curious how good it is. We have Qwest for the net now. But they make you bundle with a home phone service. We hardly use our home phone anymore and would like to ditch it and the bill that goes with it. I'm not to interested in comcast because I really don't want to have to buy their cable tv service.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
They can't make you bundle and you can tell them that you don't want a home phone. I know they tried to give that to me when I had them for a short bit and I got them to give me just the internet. As for going to Dish internet I would stay away from it honestly but it depends on what you are using it for. If you stream netflix or anything like that it's horrible with constant packet loss.

Max Power

Bryce
Both services offer internet without bundling with other services. They push bundling really hard but if you refuse the extra services they back off. I have Comcast internet only, and my brother has Quest internet only.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I went from Comcast to HughesNet satellite internet for a few days last month in an attempt to save a little cash. Never again. The way they explained it to me is the signal comes in waves unlike TV. Sometimes it would work decent then five minutes later it was like 1995 all over again if it would even work at all. After several tests they assured me this was completely normal and not having internet whatsoever during certain times during the day and slow internet for the rest was ok??

:rolleyes: Maybe Quest is better I dunno. I like everything about Comcast aside from the price.

Last edited:

Caleb

You can definitely get your internet without a phone, however they usually make it cheaper to have the phone with it. So "getting rid of that bill" may actually make your total outgoing go up.

I'd skip satellite based internet if there are any other options, especially if you use it even semi-regularly.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I use digis... have loved it for the 4 years I have used it... I get 12-13 mbps download and 2-3 up which is great for me... my son uses the hell out of it gaming and never has problems with it....

Caleb

I use digis... have loved it for the 4 years I have used it... I get 12-13 mbps download and 2-3 up which is great for me... my son uses the hell out of it gaming and never has problems with it....

I have my own problems with digis, however, digis isn't satellite based.

R

rockdog

Hmm, thanks for your reply's. I guess dish net is out. Not sure which way we are gonna go. Wife say's we are paying about $170.00 a month for all three. She wants to go to Comcast/ Exfinity for all three. I don't care too much for these guys. They stuck it too us in the past. But they are pretty much the only other option for what we want.
How much are you guys that have all three paying a month? We have one step up on the dish, so we can get TCM and a couple of other channels we want.