• Stay with the V10 until it dies

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Powerstroke Flatbed Mafia

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Normal Bed Powerstroke Lameness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quit trucks because they're expensive and just buy a minivan

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Cummins or Duramax because I have bad taste.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Subaru Flatbed

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Alright everybody, the hot button question that is always a battle.
I am afraid I may be out doing my beautiful 2005 V10 F250... Between my Party events job, my welding company, and being a partner in another welding company I am towing trailers and loading the bed heavy all the time and putting a lot of miles on it. Plus it's still my daily driver. And all these jobs and opportunities are only going to grow in scope for me. The V10 is holding up and doing the job just fine, But I fear how fast the mileage is going up, and I am picking up trailers that are pushing it's tow rating relatively often and having to take them up and down Parleys and Provo Canyon. Plus having a short bed/stock bed has been mildly infuriating in many situations

Just having the truck is earning me enough money that I can finally/comfortable move up to something a little bigger and newer. With a budget of no higher than $35k.

I know there are some Diesel Die Hards and Gas Guzzling Loyalists on here and I would love all the input.
What would be your recommendation be?...
My requirements:
- Must be a 4 door, Can't afford yet to have a separate company vehicle from family vehicle and I have to be able to transport my kids.
- I would prefer a Flatbed especially with built in storage boxes.
- Must be able to comfortably tow 12,000 lbs if not more from the bumper.
- I'm preferential to Fords because I love the way they look over the other brands.
- Relatively reliable so I'm not blowing money on constant repairs.

In reality I'm just looking for confirmation on what I'm already feeling in my gut. The Mileage is climbing rapidly on the V10 and I'm afraid it's not gonna be worth much in the near future as it surpasses the 150k mark. Yet I still owe enough money on it that it's not worth sticking it out to just have a Truck that's "Paid off".
@Hickey has pounded "Newer Diesel Bad!" into my brain but unfortunately the Godzilla's are still too expensive and the used market on them is minimal if not non existent.

Most of what I'm seeing that could possibly fit my criteria is 2014-17 F350 Powerstrokes in the 160k-200k Mileage which in diesel world doesn't seem bad at all from my inexperienced understanding.

Sorry if this is just all over the place.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have limited experience with Ford’s of that era but that experience I have had was miserable. Ryan’s shop truck was a ‘15 Powerstroke and that thing left us stranded a couple times. It also got terrible fuel mileage compared to his ‘08 Cummins with more miles and heavier loads. You might think I’m just being a brand loyalist but honestly I don’t really care about the Ford vs Ram thing outside of my experiences.

The silver lining is that just about any truck, (possibly even 1/2 tons) will be more comfortable, capable and economical than your V10 F250.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I've had great luck with my 2012 F-350 6.7L. I've put nearly 70k miles on it over the last 2.5 years with trailers behind it multiple times a week, FWIW.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
A Subaru Baja with a flatbed. Do it!

b50eb784811e1aaecfdefefc8b274e0c74d48b5a-2000.jpg

The_Lobbster

I know you say you’re partial to Fords, but if you’re interested in a gasser Chevy, the work truck I drive will be sent to surplus fairly soon. I think it’s a ‘17, 6.0 LS. It only has 49k miles. The last two trucks like this, we sold, included the plows and salt spreaders, sold for $28k, and $31k. So you could sell those and recoup some investment if you didn’t need them.

Service bed only has about 6,000 miles. I told them not to waste the money on it, but they couldn’t resist dumping $10k into it, only to announce they were selling it 6 months later. Goodyear Kevlar tires, only about 10k miles, tons of tread.

If you’re interested, you can check it out before it goes to surplus, and I’ll run every little thing I know about it by you. I have spared zero expense in the service of this truck since I’ve been driving it.

IMG_5467.jpeg

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Most of what I'm seeing that could possibly fit my criteria is 2014-17 F350 Powerstrokes in the 160k-200k Mileage which in diesel world doesn't seem bad at all from my inexperienced understanding.

If choosing between keeping the V10 with <150k or a 2014 with 200k, I’d keep the V10.

I think a 200k mile powerstroke that you don’t know is a gamble vs the gasser that you do know.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I know you say you’re partial to Fords, but if you’re interested in a gasser Chevy, the work truck I drive will be sent to surplus fairly soon. I think it’s a ‘17, 6.0 LS. It only has 49k miles. The last two trucks like this, we sold, included the plows and salt spreaders, sold for $28k, and $31k. So you could sell those and recoup some investment if you didn’t need them.

Service bed only has about 6,000 miles. I told them not to waste the money on it, but they couldn’t resist dumping $10k into it, only to announce they were selling it 6 months later. Goodyear Kevlar tires, only about 10k miles, tons of tread.

If you’re interested, you can check it out before it goes to surplus, and I’ll run every little thing I know about it by you. I have spared zero expense in the service of this truck since I’ve been driving it.

View attachment 176275
As long as it was treated better than that dump bed..... I hate borrowing that thing!

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I have limited experience with Ford’s of that era but that experience I have had was miserable. Ryan’s shop truck was a ‘15 Powerstroke and that thing left us stranded a couple times. It also got terrible fuel mileage compared to his ‘08 Cummins with more miles and heavier loads. You might think I’m just being a brand loyalist but honestly I don’t really care about the Ford vs Ram thing outside of my experiences.

The silver lining is that just about any truck, (possibly even 1/2 tons) will be more comfortable, capable and economical than your V10 F250.
I don't have a problem Cummins, it's just everyone selling one things they're worth their weight in gold. Plus I would need a minimum of a 4th gen because the backseat in the older models is awful.

1969honda

Supporting Member
I'll weigh in with my fleet experience, for whatever that worth. I mostly work on Fords at Rocky Mountain Power. The V10, of you've done really good maintenence, will last to 300k from what I've seen. The BCM and gauge cluster probably won't. A 6.7 PS, again if meticulously maintained will do the same. On both the trans and DEF it will definitely be gamble after 150k.
6.8 V10s start having coil packs, plugs and throttle bodies go out north of 150, not terrible but not a terribly inconvenience. Typically the throttle body and pedal have to be replaced at the same time.

Another thing to look at, is since you mentioned flat bed, might be too look at a can and chassis fleet truck. I know from talking to our fleet buyer and the tow companies we use the cost savings is really. You can still get a 4 door crew can or extended cab with nice features. My basic 2021 F550 has a lot of bells and whistles I didn't expect when I was told my old truck was being replaced. It has a good stereo with Bluetooth, power seats, heated mirrors, back up camera, etc. and the cloth seats have held up great over the past 4 years. Lots of storage and cup holders. I've had zero maintenance issues in almost 75k miles, same with average other 2017 and newer 6.7s.

All that being said, I personally own a 07, no emissions cummins, and I'm a big GM fan boy.

The_Lobbster

As long as it was treated better than that dump bed..... I hate borrowing that thing!
It’s getting surplused too. However as you know, the steering is looser than a $2 hooker.

You’re welcome to drive mine anytime just to see if you like the feel of it. Just let me know.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I agree with a lot of what's been said. Wait for your income to go up to pay for the truck you actually want for a welding rig. And then I'd get another car to be the family hauler. Much better to have a dedicated work rig that doesn't have to do double duty and the smaller cabs sell for quite a bit less.

This 100%.

I'm kind of in the same boat (although I could afford newer truck) I have no interest in spending 50k.
My solution was to build my little daily driver Liberty (that I'm probably only into $3500 if my labor is free).
And only use my truck to move furniture for our business, tow a trailer and carry dirt bikes.
I've halved the miles I put on it this year versus last and I'll figure I'll get another 3-5 out of it. (Long enough to finish saving up to buy a newer truck cash).

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Second option for the quorums consideration:
Getting a flatbed or some type of service bed for the V10 so I can clean up tool storage as my back seat is a constant nightmare between welding equipment and car seats...
Up until recently I had a tool box in the bed but it got beat on and abused to the point that the locks didn't work and the door popped open on the free way and the wind ripped it off. Now it was a cheaper brand from Tractor supply, but I struggle coughing up $1,000 for a Weatherguard When it's still going to restrict bed length.
Only problem with this is I can't recall a Short Bed Flat Bed that I've ever thought looked good. Service Beds maybe. But short bed flat beds have always looked like short spine dogs to me.
1726497305470.jpeg

J-mobzz

Bold of you to assume my income will be way up...
You’re young, talented and working hard. Keep grinding and the money will come. It’s inconvenient to work with what you have sometimes but having a $600ish/month payment on a truck with high miles likely won’t set you up for any better success then what you currently have. More convenient? Maybe. More financially successful? Probably not.

I know you joked about a minivan, but you can pick up used minivans for super cheap. They can securely haul a crap load of tools whenever you don’t need to tow a trailer. They get better fuel economy for normal commuting. You can take your family.

I honestly believe that if you put yourself in a situation now for success 2-4 year down the road you’ll be in a situation you can buy whatever truck you want without compromising.