Do you know who supports the Red Rock Wilderness Bill??????

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Here's the current list of Co-Sponsors (note that the little D=Democrat, R=Republican, I=Independent.
At least President-Elect O'bama hasn't signed on as a Co-Sponsor.....but now he has the magic pen and the Antiquities Act at his disposal.

http://www.suwa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=work_arwaCosponsors

161 HOUSE COSPONSORS

Arizona
Raul Grijalva, D-07

California
Mike Thompson, D-01
Doris Matsui, D-05
Lynn C. Woolsey, D-06
George Miller, D-07
Barbara Lee, D-09
Ellen O. Tauscher, D-10
Gerald McNerney, D-11
Tom Lantos, D-12
Fortney Pete Stark, D-13
Anna G. Eshoo, D-C14
Michael M. Honda, D-15
Zoe Lofgren, D-16
Sam Farr, D-17
Lois Capps, D-23
Brad Sherman, D-27
Howard L. Berman, D-28
Adam B. Schiff, D-29
Henry A. Waxman, D-30
Xavier Becerra, D-31
Hilda L. Solis, D-32
Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-34
Maxine Waters, D-35
Jane Harman, D-36
Juanita Millender-McDonald, D-37
Grace F. Napolitano, D-38
Linda T. Sanchez, D-39
Loretta Sanchez, D-47
Bob Filner, D-51
Susan A. Davis, D-53

Colorado
Diana DeGette, D-01
Mark Udall, D-02
Ed Perlmutter, D-07

Connecticut
John Larson, D-01
Joseph Courtney, D-02
Rosa DeLauro, D-03
Christopher Shays, R-04
Christopher Murphy, D-05

District of Columbia
Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-DC

Florida
Corrine Brown, D-03
Robert Wexler, D-19
Alcee Hastings, D-23

Georgia
Hank Johnson, D-04
John Lewis, D-05
Jim Marshall, D-08
John Barrow D-12
David Scott, D-13

Hawaii
Mazie Hirono, D-02

Illinois
Bobby L. Rush D-01
Jesse L. Jackson Jr., D-02
Daniel Lipinski, D-03
Luis V. Gutierrez, D-04
Rahm I. Emanuel, D-05
Danny Davis, D-07
Janice D. Schakowsky, D-09
Mark Steven Kirk, R-10
Jerry F. Costello, D-12
Judy Biggert, R-13
Timothy V. Johnson, R-15
Phil Hare, D-17
Ray LaHood, R-18

Indiana
Andre Carson D-07
Baron Hill D-09

Iowa
Bruce Braley D-01
Leonard Boswell D-03

Kentucky
John Yarmuth, D-03
Ben Chandler D-06

Louisiana
William Jefferson, D-02

Maine
Thomas Allen, D-01
Michael Michaud, D-02

Maryland
Albert Russell Wynn, D-04
Elijah E. Cummings, D-07
Chris Van Hollen, D-08

Massachusetts
John W. Olver, D-01
Richard E. Neal, D-02
James P. McGovern, D-03
Barney Frank, D-04
Martin Meehan, D-05
John F. Tierney, D-06
Edward J. Markey, D-07
Michael E. Capuano, D-08
Stephen F. Lynch, D-09
William D. Delahunt, D-10

Michigan
Dale Kildee, D-05
Sander Levin, D-12
Carolyn Kilpatrick, D-13
John Conyers, D-14

America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, S. 1170
Sponsored by Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL)

20 SENATE COSPONSORS

California
Barbara Boxer, D-CA

Connecticut
Joseph Lieberman, I-CT

Illinois
Richard Durbin, D-IL

Indiana
Evan Bayh, D-IN

Iowa
Tom Harkin, D-IA

Maryland
Benjamin Cardin, D-MD

Massachusetts
Edward Kennedy, D-MA
John Kerry, D-MA

Michigan
Deborah Stabenow, D-MI

New Jersey
Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ
Robert Menendez, D-NJ

New York
Charles Schumer, D-NY
Hillary Clinton, D-NY

Ohio
Sherrod Brown, D-OH

Rhode Island
Jack Reed, D-RI
Sheldon Whitehouse, D-RI

Vermont
Patrick Leahy, D-VT
Bernie Sanders, I-VT

Washington
Maria Cantwell, D-WA

Wisconsin
Russell Feingold, D-WI

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
That's just plain scary... I bet 95% of those people have never even been to Moab, let alone explored the amazing area surrounding it. And yet they all want to 'save' it. :rolleyes:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Almost all Democrats, and people wonder why we are worried about a democratic President:rolleyes:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Typical (@$&#@%$!@ leftist BS thinking-- "it's just that they know so much that isn't so", to quote Reagan.

STATES RIGHTS damnit. Enough National Parks and Monuments have been safeguarded. :mad:

Greg

Admin
What does the antiquities act have to do with anything? Im confused...

It's been used in the past for massive land grabs by a Democratic President.

Oh, and under what adminstration did they close a majority of the trails in Moab?

Greg said:
I take it you're not familiar with the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument? Clinton created 1.9 Million acres of Wilderness in Southern UT. And he made the dedication from Arizona, because NOBODY in Utah's government supported the idea. Clinton did this under the guise of the Antiquities Act, which is meant to preserve Native American ruins and artifacts. Really, who is going to hike to see 1.9 Million acres of land? Not me... you?

The Antiquities Act was supposed to preserve small sites, not Millions of acres of land. Clinton bent over UT and didn't even have the Balls to hold the designation in the actual state that it effected.

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

e28bimmer

Okay, now Im even more confused.. antiquities act of 1906? This is the one that defines anything over 50 years old as an archeological item and prevents the public at large from touching it??
How does this tie into land grabs?

And not that Im supporting either party, but what does the democratic party have to do with it? Seems like most of the big land grabs (Zions, Grand Canyon, Mojave Desert, etc) were done regardless of the party in office.

IMNTBHO - Doesnt matter what party is in power, it matters how much noise you can make. Politicians get elected on popularity. Give one an idea that his or her policies are not popular with the public and publicize that, and suddenly they cater to that party. Look at SUWA, there isnt a lot of them out there, but they make a lot of noise, and they are a combined group.
The power starts to come when you take the egos out of the equation. look at how many off road groups there are out there, and sure they all "work together" but if they were all a combined entity their power and influence would be magnified exponentially.

Greg

Admin
Okay, now Im even more confused.. antiquities act of 1906? This is the one that defines anything over 50 years old as an archeological item and prevents the public at large from touching it??
How does this tie into land grabs?

Yes, the same Antiquities Act of 1906. You it the nail on the head, how does this tie in to land grabs? Good question, I'd love to hear how Clinton managed to designate 1.9 Million acres of land as Wilderness under the Antiquities Act.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
In simple terms, Congress designates wilderness and the president will designate a monument. For the Red Rock Wilderness bill to be enacted it has to go through congress. However the president can designate an area as a monument like Clinton did with the Grand Staircase.

It is through the Antiquities act that the president has the authority to do this. Historically, most areas that have been designated as a monument as a president have gone on to become national parks.....Zions is one of them. The other thing is that monument do not preclude things from becoming wilderness. A portion of the RRW bill is contained within the Grand Staircase Escalante.

So, in essence, the new president could designate a large area as a monument to protect it from development of energy. This would also eliminate motorized recreation. The Clinton land grab kept the development of a large and easily accessible clean coal reserve. His legacy with the greenies.

Does this make it clear as mud????????

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Yeah not a single one of those states is remotely close to us. How do all of those people have the power to do something they know nothing about and exersize power over us? Oooh it burns me up!

We're talking about federal land. Locals and non-locals have the same input. This bill has been proposed in the last 9 (more?) Congresses. Let's not sensationalize for fundraising. It's a concern, but we probably won't see it pass anytime soon. The much bigger fear is withdrawal through executive order (ala Clinton and GSENM) as mentioned. Both scenarios are potential threats.