Does anyone build outdoor stairs/railings?

MOODY

Bald Guy
I'm not sure I have the skill to build steps and a railing....need about 5 stairs the width of French Doors. I'd like TREX or the equivalent on top. Looking for bids.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Are you doing a concrete patio rather than your raised one made from wood? If thats the case I'd recommend just pouring stairs with the pad. There won't be any upkeep and its a once and done kind of thing.

Cascadia

Undecided
Even with rebar though, 5 steps 5' wide is a lot of weight and it'll peobably eventually pull away. By code, not that it matters cause you're not getting it inspected, you'll need at least a 3' deep landing at the top. I could do it for you. Just not sure I have the time, although it's only a few hour job.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Even with rebar though, 5 steps 5' wide is a lot of weight and it'll peobably eventually pull away. By code, not that it matters cause you're not getting it inspected, you'll need at least a 3' deep landing at the top. I could do it for you. Just not sure I have the time, although it's only a few hour job.

I hadn't thought about it pulling away but probably should have. All the houses in my neighborhood have 6 or so stairs that go up to a front porch and nearly all of them have pulled away and have sunken. I made the comment because I rebuilt my stairs a few years ago with crappy lowes lumber when we poured a small pad and wish I would have just done concrete stairs. I'm needing to redo the stairs because its warped pretty bad and am not really looking forward to it.

For the landing, is that based on height or something else? We had one but I removed it when I redid the stairs.

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
Definitely want a handrail. My pops is almost completely blind...he needs it when he comes over. Plus when people have one too many cold ones...

Caleb

Where you located. We have offices in St george and Murray

Www.Titanstairs.net

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not to squat on Moody's thread :D, but do you guys come and give quotes or do I need to send measurements? I'd love to get an iron railing on my front porch and I need to get a small staircase (two 4' stairs) from my RV pad down to a future concrete patio.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Ya. It's pretty much just based from the height off the ground. Anything over 3 steps or over 32" needs the landing.

Every staircase, regardless of height, gets the 36" clear landing top and bottom, except for interior staircases that don't have a door swinging over them. More than 3 stairs gets a handrail. Platforms 30" or higher from the ground get guardrails. I used to design homes, I had to deal with this crap all the time. But if you're not getting it inspected, you don't have to worry. However, if you have an accident on said stairs and want to use your homeowner's insurance, and they find out you didn't pull a permit and get them inspected, I've heard they can and will deny your claim. :-\

yz250_

Every staircase, regardless of height, gets the 36" clear landing top and bottom, except for interior staircases that don't have a door swinging over them. More than 3 stairs gets a handrail. Platforms 30" or higher from the ground get guardrails. I used to design homes, I had to deal with this crap all the time. But if you're not getting it inspected, you don't have to worry. However, if you have an accident on said stairs and want to use your homeowner's insurance, and they find out you didn't pull a permit and get them inspected, I've heard they can and will deny your claim. :-\

Not entirely accurate but close. There is no distinction between interior and exterior. Doors can never swing over stairs. 30" and taller height requires guardrail.

4 or more risers require handrail unless total rise is over 30" then guardrail is required

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Not entirely accurate but close. There is no distinction between interior and exterior. Doors can never swing over stairs. 30" and taller height requires guardrail.

4 or more risers require handrail unless total rise is over 30" then guardrail is required

It's been a couple years, apparently I'm rusty. I got the terms guardrail and handrail confused, you are right. You are also right about the door over stairs, I read the code book wrong. You do not need a landing at the top of interior stairs provided a door doesn't open over them. IRC code R311.7.5 talks about landings and provides the exception about no landings for the top of interior stairs. Thanks for the correction!

yz250_

It's all good. That's all we do every day. The annoying part is that the codes are changing constantly and then every city can adapt their own variances to adopt. So even what I posted will not be entirely accurate