Does anyone make a metric-specific tool kit?

sixstringsteve

I've accumulated lots of tools over the years, but I want a good metric-only kit to keep in my truck. I don't want to buy a 179 piece kit that has 25 SAE sockets that I'll never use, and 55 attachments to the cheezy 1/4" driver.

Does anyone know of anything out there that's metric-only kit? I buy metric-only socket kits, but they don't have wrenches and extensions and stuff. Any ideas?

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I bought an all in one tool set because it was cheaper and separated what I wanted to carry and cut off the leg of an old pair of jeans sewed up one end and carried the tools in it.

littlyota

http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/introductie.php

I carry these. I have 5 sets. One for the boat, truck, 4runner, garage, and the original set I started with that I use for spares if I loose one.

I was working on an exhaust manifold one day and stripped out the bolt with a 12pt, I grabbed a 6 point and stripped it again. At the time, Sears sold these sets. I went down and bought the set. The thought in my mind was "if the socket pulls out the bolt, I will keep them. If not I will return them. Well needless to say it pulled the bolt right out.

I worked in a shop for a while and the other mechanics would make fun of my multi-set until they stripped a bolt and needed to use my tools. I live by these and love them. I use them on impact guns and have never broken a socket. My father in law is a Snap-on man and we have had several debates over my tool choices. He never believes how good these are. I will not carry anything else.

I carry this set. http://www.amazon.com/Metrinch-Combo-Spanner-Socket-Wrench/dp/B000WR3JUO

The set was $119 at one time. They are getting hard to find.

sixstringsteve

I've bought lots of metric-only socket sets, but I was hoping for something with a molded carry case that had the most common stuff I need (drivers, extensions, adapters, etc). I like the molded carry case because I can see in an instant if something is missing. Currently, I use the bags that Spork posted. They're awesome, and I love the bags, but I can't see at a glance what I'm missing. Currently I carry my metric sockets in a molded socket case so I can see if i'm missing a socket, but all my open-ends are loose, and my extensions and u-joints and adapters and stuff like that are in a bag, making it tough to know if anything is missing.

http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/introductie.php

I worked in a shop for a while and the other mechanics would make fun of my multi-set until they stripped a bolt and needed to use my tools. I live by these and love them. I use them on impact guns and have never broken a socket. My father in law is a Snap-on man and we have had several debates over my tool choices. He never believes how good these are. I will not carry anything else.

I carry this set. http://www.amazon.com/Metrinch-Combo-Spanner-Socket-Wrench/dp/B000WR3JUO

The set was $119 at one time. They are getting hard to find.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!

Now those metrinch and industro sockets are slick! I use an SAE wrench about once every 3 years, so I'm mainly interested in the way they grab the hex part of the bolt rather than the corners.

Last edited:

jruss

The Sams Club at 114 s (Draper) had the industro kit for $30 6 months ago. I think they are sold out now, but they were super cheap. I'll let you know if they still have them in stock

Chevycrew

Metric only? So what does it use for drive sizes then? 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 are all standard. Are there 10mm extensions and ratchets out there?

:rolleyes:

Im actually curious what comes in a overseas tool set now!

sixstringsteve

The Sams Club at 114 s (Draper) had the industro kit for $30 6 months ago. I think they are sold out now, but they were super cheap. I'll let you know if they still have them in stock

that'd be great if you could check for me, I'd love to snag a pair at that price.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So after seeing Spencurai's toolset, I headed down to Lowes and grabbed one of their new shallow ratchet sets. I dig it. It's got a driver, 10mm thru 19mm sockets (they're the splined kind, supposed to work on SAE too), an extension, and a pair of adapters so I can use regular 3/8th sockets or drivers. There's also a $10 set that's smaller, supposed to be the equivalent of 1/4" sockets.

sixstringsteve

^ got any pics/link to the kit? That's definitely something I'd be intereseted in.

I recently picked up a metric-only socket/driver kit from Lowes. It's great. It's small, and it's got 10-18 (why couldn't they include a 19!), a driver, extension, and u-joint. It's great to just toss in the truck when I need an emergency set of tools.