does anyone work at backcountry.com , steepandcheap, whiskeymilitia, etc?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
They did back in the day. When I found out I broke-up with them and never looked back.

theferg

DD for Life
I used to work there as a Systems Admin. They are full on SUWA lovers. Most of my homies have all left there now too but lemme see if I can dig something up--that is, if you still wanna shop there now that you know they support SUWA...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Last I heard they were still full on SUWA supporters. Backed the Greater Canyonlands proposal and replied negatively to people who asked them to stop.

I'll never support them again.

sixstringsteve

I used to work there as a Systems Admin. They are full on SUWA lovers. Most of my homies have all left there now too but lemme see if I can dig something up--that is, if you still wanna shop there now that you know they support SUWA...

that'd be awesome, thanks.

sixstringsteve

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?79179-Suwa-and-backcountry-com

I can't find anything linking them to suwa. It's ridiculously difficult to find backpacking companies that don't support the sierra club, or other enviro nutso groups. Some are definitely worse than others. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the employees support SUWA, but I can't see that the company supports them. They own a bike website too, and SUWA wants to shut down access to bikes as well, so I would hope they'd realize SUWA will be limiting their customers' recreation options.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

How old is that list again?

Camp chef is also on that list, and they deny having supported SUWA.

I don't doubt that Backcountry supported them at one point, but we all know that list is out of date and many of those supporters have changed their stance regarding SUWA. A lot of people jumped on the SUWA support wagon when they really didn't realize what they were supporting. Now that they've gotten heat and lost customers, (and seen what SUWA is really about), a lot of people have backed off their SUWA support. I am all for protecting our lands for responsible recreation. I'd venture a guess that most of those companies thought they were protecting lands for future recreation and use.

This is a dead horse that we keep on beating over and over again anytime anyone mentions REI or backcountry.

Back on topic, I'd love a bro code if you can get one for me ferg.

Last edited:

Caleb

How along ago were you there? IMO, this is damning enough to not support them. One of their Senior Admins recently came to work for me, I'll ask him what their take on SUWA is.

Coco

I didnt mean to bring up another SUWA debate, I was just curious if they still did or not. For possible future purchasing.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I remember back during the Greater Canyonlands deal, they were pretty rude in their response to people questioning their support on Facebook. I tried looking through their FB posts, but it was nearly a year ago so I didn't find them (course I didn't look that hard).
All I know is that over the years I've heard multiple reports of them being affiliated with the anti-OHV community and not a single report of them having publicly reneging on that. I'm always disappointed when I hear of people who are informed of such things continuing to support companies like this. Our purchasing power is the single most visible way to influence these companies, and every dollar we don't spend with them makes a difference, no matter how little.
But to each their own.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm always disappointed when I hear of people who are informed of such things continuing to support companies like this. Our purchasing power is the single most visible way to influence these companies, and every dollar we don't spend with them makes a difference, no matter how little.
But to each their own.

Not to continue the hijack here, but is there an updated list of supporters? I too don't like spending money with companies that go against what I believe. I haven't seen a list of companies that support SUWA, Sierra Club, ELF, etc...

DAA

Supporting Member
You know, many years ago, Gore (as in Goretex, not Weird Al), were a supporter of SUWA. I refused to buy Goretex anything for almost 20 years. Most of my gear that I still own and use is not genuine Goretex for that very reason - I have a lot of "Dry Plus" and the like instead. But I eventually kinda sorta forgot about it (really...) and have since purchased Goretex gear again. This whole thread just reminded me of that. I've no idea what their official stance is nowadays, but the super-duper uber-freakishly expensive Sitka hunting jacket I bought not too long ago is Goretex. As have been the last half dozen pair of (supposedly...) waterproof boots I have bought.

Same deal with Levi's. Many, many years ago they supported a gun control group (I can't even remember which one), and up to that point Levi's were basically the only jeans I had ever worn. Didn't buy them again for 20 years. Rec'd several pair as gifts though, and eventually, just kinda sorty forgot about it (really...) and have since purchased Levi's again. And, again, I've no idea what their official stance is nowadays.

My point being, I'm all for pocket book protest. I've practiced it forever and ever. But, if you take it really serious, you can paint yourself into a corner where your purchasing options become awfully limited! And I bet some of you who are sort of hinting at possibly pointing a finger at Steve, were buying Goretex back in the day when I wasn't - for exactly the same thing - supporting SUWA.

On the face of it, it's simple, don't buy from the supporters of your enemy. But in practice, it can get sorty of fuzzy, I think.

- DAA

B2-Bomber

I didn't know they are supporters of SUWA, but I work right by them, and it always seems that there is a constant stream of dirty hippies jay-walking back-and-forth across parkway blvd to the gas station, assuming the cars will stop for them as they walk back with a big gulp in one hand, and a microwave-burrito in the other. even if I have a green light, I always have to wait for some pedestrian hippie white-boy with dread locks to walk past me before I can go

sounds like a bunch of suwa supporters to me.......