Does this bother anybody else here?

mule2k

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=2405791
I've been a lurker here for a while but I felt that i should throw this out there. I'm supprised it has not been brought up yet. Aperently our 4-wheelers are too distracting and can possibly cause loss of plant species but snowmobiles are ok? I remember hearing my wifes uncle talking about this at a family party (Kyle Carlisle in the video) but i didn't know they were actually enforcing it. Whats going on? Where does it stop?

M

muddyjeep

It just the Stupid Nazi tree huggers attacking us again!!!! WTF!!!!

Meat_

Banned
What trails? Why the f would you snowshoe on the road? But then I guess for that matter, why would you sled on the road.

Caleb

The thing I don't like about it is it's putting us against ourselves???? Why fight within our own groups. We're all after the same thing.

M

muddyjeep

I will not go up on 1 more fence build if this is the slap in the face we get for it!

huh? anyone here read the actual decision, or just this article? this happened months ago. the change was made to the uinta nf plan to correct an improperly applied definition of "over snow vehicle." this was made to bring the unf plan in line with federally mandated standards. it has nothing to do with greenies or fighting amongst ourselves. it doesn't affect 4x4 vehicles since we could never use these routes in the winter time anyway.

M

muddyjeep

The main thing that makes me so f-ing angry is the news channels always
seem to side with the tree huggers its BS!!

Caleb

huh? anyone here read the actual decision, or just this article? this happened months ago. the change was made to the uinta nf plan to correct an improperly applied definition of "over snow vehicle." this was made to bring the unf plan in line with federally mandated standards. it has nothing to do with greenies or fighting amongst ourselves. it doesn't affect 4x4 vehicles since we could never use these routes in the winter time anyway.

I understand that, but the ATV enthusiasts are now taking shots at the snowmobilers...thus the comment that we are fighting among ourselves. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision, just that we are making this harder on ourselves.

M

muddyjeep

Every bit of closing that happens we lose! Where does it end!
All of America needs to stand up and say we have had enough!!!!
These "greenies" are out of control!

CJJ92yj

Steve, you know as well as anyone else that they'll just close trails bit by bit until there is nothing left. Tolerance of the minimal things will lead to huge impacts. Besides, as said already, a lot of us have quads as well, so it does affect us.

And I agree with Meat. Why would you snowshoe on the road anyway. Quads by design are restricted to these roads in the wintertime. Ever try to drive a quad through 3 feet deep snow. It isn't very effective to say the least. Yet the appeal of showshoeing as far as I can tell, would be to trek wherever you wish, without the limitations of being restricted to the trail. Showshoeing in a groomed trail is like water skiing on a frozen lake. Why the hell not just put on some winter boots and walk that groomed trail?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
KSL article said:
But some non-motorized recreationists say there ought to be some trails where ATVs, and maybe snowmobiles too, are banned...

The guy with the snowshoes is retarded, there are plenty of hiking trails right off Tibblefork Res. that you can have all to yourself that ARE closed to ATV's, snowmobiles, etc.. I have done plenty of snowshoeing up there & you are all alone. As CJJ92yj said, you can hike on groomed trails, what's the point of the snowshoes?

I do agree that the ban ATV's on groomed trails is a too restrictive. Perhaps they should leave the groomed trails opened to ATV's & close off the places that are not groomed. I don't see how it would be fun to ride an ATV in 8' of powder. The snowmobile riders have plenty of powder that they can play in above the canyon. IMO, the groomed trails are just the way to get to the fun snowmobile grounds.

I'd support the ATV groups, but our fight is with the AFC Forest Service, not the snowmobiles.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I'd support the ATV groups, but our fight is with the AFC Forest Service, not the snowmobiles.

Unfortunately the fight is with the head honchos in Washington D.C. where the mandate originated from. I don't think the rangers in the ground in the PG District had much issue with the quads, though I could be wrong.

I do know there are alot of users on both sides of the motorized argument that wished that the road up AF stayed closed in the "limbo" season, being the spring when there isn't enough snow for the sleds, and the ATV's are driving around every patch of deeps snow. Every spring it seems like the Forest Lake trail gets a few new bypasses due to folks trying to avoid the snow?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Unfortunately the fight is with the head honchos in Washington D.C. where the mandate originated from. I don't think the rangers in the ground in the PG District had much issue with the quads, though I could be wrong.

I do know there are alot of users on both sides of the motorized argument that wished that the road up AF stayed closed in the "limbo" season, being the spring when there isn't enough snow for the sleds, and the ATV's are driving around every patch of deeps snow. Every spring it seems like the Forest Lake trail gets a few new bypasses due to folks trying to avoid the snow?

Ah, I thought the decision was at the local level.

I could see the logic in a change-of-seasons closure... IMO if people stayed in the trail regardless of what was on the trail, there wouldn't be an issue. If you can't travel any further, turn around. I guess most people are too stubborn to know when to quit. :-\

mule2k

There is a petition you can sign in an effort to change this. It's located at the Alpine fire station, contact chief Craig Carlisle.

Part of the reasoning for the national decision. If an ATV gets into a deep patch of snow, it can wreak havoc trying to get out (or go around and off trail). A 4x4 has the same issue.

There is a petition you can sign in an effort to change this. It's located at the Alpine fire station, contact chief Craig Carlisle.

I hate to sound cynical, but this will have absolutely no effect. It's a national decision that was implemented quite some time ago in DC. The Uinta Forest is just now making their Forest Plan comply with the national standard.