Don't be scared of a Moose

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
There has been some discussion on here about Moose tubes and how hard they are to install. They truly are not has hard as you may think. What I thought was going to be a knuckle breaking nightmare was surprisingly easy. You may think I am talking about installing a Moose into my 300, but I am actually talking about the Moose tube I installed in the 14" front wheel on my boys 65. These tires are a PIA to mount and dismount......let alone throwing in the factor of working with the Moose.

This is where I started......a 14" flat tire from a pinch at the 2nd round of the National Youth Hare & Hound in Ridgecrest, California.

I completely dismounted the tire and used this worn out 21" Moose that a friend of mine ran this in his boys 105 until it became to wore out for his bike. At this point it is perfect for a front 14" wheel on a 65. This Moose did start it life in a regular 21" wheel ...... and when it is to worn, it is perfect for a mini.

Insert the Moose into the tire and coat the bead of the tire with a generous layer of Vaseline. In the past I always used soapy water on the bead, but recently I could not find my spray bottle and used the Vaseline. It works great and will be the only thing I use from now on.

Here is a closer look of my greasing of the bead.

First side seated on the rim in less than a minute.

Down to the last bite.

All installed and done in less than 10 minutes including the original dismounting of the rim.

I believe one more major key to doing this with the least amount of stress is proper tire irons and a tire changing stand. The irons you see in the picture give great leverage. Now go mount up a Moose of your own.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I would buy if need to buy new tire irons and a good stand first. By the point it's cheaper for me to drive to Price sand have you do it. ;)

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Do you run a moose in you bike paul?, A tire cost me the Johnny rock race, but Ive heard weird things about the way they feel riding, just curious for feedback on if it affects the feedback you get from your tire.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I run a moose in the front. They do have a little bit different feel to them, but it is not hard to get used to. I finally bit the bullet and went to a moose last year after the Cherry Creek national when I got a flat about 10 miles in on the first loop. I ran the remainder of that loop and the complete second loop with a flat. Luckily they rounded me up a wheel for loop 3. A moose does have a limited lifetime, so I really only run it at races since they are pretty expensive. When I am riding I run my stock rims with regular heavy duty tubes.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I started running them up front back in '08-ish. I've been getting roughly 800-1000 miles out of one depending on terrain/abuse (of course, thats pushing it). At one of the BOR races, I had to ride about 30 miles on a rear flat, which isn't a big deal. Riding on a flat front just sucks too bad to risk. In regards to the feel, I like how they don't seem to deflect or bounce off rocks like tubes do. However, once you get a good "soft spot", you start to really notice it at high speeds.

One last thought... I'm under 160 lbs., so that has gotta help as well. My buddies that are heavier can't seem to go as long on theirs. Lots of variables, but it make sense that extra weight riding on them is a factor.

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Now that I've had time to think about it more, I've never run the same mousse for more than 800 miles. That's probably a more accurrate estimation. I know I've changed one out only after about 500, but that's the very least.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Hmm, yea I run the Maxxis desert IT, its the tire Im most confident with in the terrain that I ride and race, I could finish out a race with a back flat, but no way with a front, the Maxxis will almost come of the rim on the front, Its almost scetchy just riding straight back to the pits slow, let alone finishing a loop at any kind of speed. I just dont want to surrender the feel that I have now.

Tonkaman

I run them front and rear now and I don't regret the cost one bit. Although I don't do any high speed desert riding so heat isn't really a problem for me.