dont know what portable welder to get

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I had a ready welder for years. I learned how to use it pretty good in my garage and even built some of my rig with it. The only downside was after carrying it around with me for 5+ years on the trail I never used it so I sold it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have a ready welder as well. I have used it to repair on the trail and it was awesome. It ran crazy nice beads and is hot enough to fix really thick stuff. Wire feed is easy, but not as many options for material. I am almostdone with an alternator welder to use nickel rod etc. If you want to come and try out the ready welderyou are welcome to. let me know.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
ebay is pretty much the cheapest at 540 or so. I bought mine a couple of years ago for less. If you want the Cold start tip the price goes up. mine doesn't have it and I think it is a waste. Used ones go on there sometimes for a little cheaper.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I have a ready welder as well and love it. I have used it on a few trail repairs but more in the garage. It can handle some thick material if you have enough juice pumping through it. It can handle 18( 6v and 12V batteries) to 36( 3-12v batteries) volts. At 36 volts I believe you can weld up to 1/2" thick metal.

I know you were just here the other day but if you want to roll by again to pick up that 4th arm and my old Rusty arms you can give it a test drive.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
mesha ive never welded before how easy is it to learn on

I wouldn't say it is any easier or harder than a regular wire feed. I guess you don't have a heat control just a speed control. that might be better or worse depending on the person. I have a regular wire feed too. Come try them side by side if you want.

The model I got was the 1000ADP I think. I would go with the cheapest model, but that is just me. If I was going to use it in the shop a lot then maybe pony up for the features.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've got a Ready Welder too. I've used it a couple times to weld up broken crap. I have a Cherokee now, so I anticipate using it a lot more often.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
The cold start was just released a bit ago. Most people are going to have the always hot. It's just a feature that turns the juice off when you are not pulling on the trigger. It can be added to any of their guns with a simple add on piece that just clips inline.

MoabUSA1

Welder

I have a Premier Power Welder on my TJ which will weld just about anything you can think of as long as you learn how to use and are carrying the proper rod with you on the trail. It also has a 2300 watt- 110V plug on the unit which I must say I have used more than the welder. :)

Badbuggy

rock star
I have used a Premier many times, and have been impressed with how well it works, but must also admit, I have not used any others, except full size welders.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Do tell, how come?

A large part of what I do for a living is field repair of cracked and broken equipment. I have a LN 25 available to me and have never considered using it. A rod can fit any place a mig gun can but a mig gun will never fit in many places a rod will. A ready welder spool gun will be even more likely to have issues than a regular gun. If a person is not proficient with a stick welder then I can see the attraction of the readywelder but the versatility of a good old fashoned arc welder will be able to fix things a wire feed cannot. In the shop fabricating I will reach for the mig. Wire is also the only way to go for build up and also for welding very heavy material (duel sheild, spray arc, or submerged arc). For a field fix it's stick for me all the way.