Drive sprocket oil seal leak? (pics)

jentzschman

I think I have a leak coming from the oil seal behind the front sprocket.

My question is: Is this seal easy to replace?

From this diagram it looks like all I would need to do is pull the sprocket (28), collar, and then the seal is right there. Other pics show the "pool" of gear oil that is just below the sprocket, hence why I think it's this seal that is leaking:

Image.gif

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
They're pretty easy to change. Just remove the sprocket then pull out the sleeve (number 26). After that the seal will pop out with a screwdriver, pick or puller. Drive the new seal in then reinstall the sleeve then sprocket.

These seals go bad over time however running your chain too tight and/or not keeping it clean back there will cause it to fail prematurely.

Edit: changing oring #27 isn't a bad idea either while you have it apart if you can get to it without too much trouble

Last edited:

jentzschman

They're pretty easy to change. Just remove the sprocket then pull out the sleeve (number 26). After that the seal will pop out with a screwdriver, pick or puller. Drive the new seal in then reinstall the sleeve then sprocket.

These seals go bad over time however running your chain too tight and/or not keeping it clean back there will cause it to fail prematurely.

Awesome, thanks!