Dual sport - Adventure rides...

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'd like to get out on my big bike sooner rather than later... it's been down due to some EFI problems, but is now in the shop and should be running by the end of next week. Obviously it will need some testing before a big ride, but I'm looking forward to getting out.

Who is up for a bigger dual sport ride? I would be interested in riding stuff like the White Rim trail, Lockhart, etc... or anything else that's in the dirt, not super challenging. It would be fun to make an overnighter, cover a lot of ground on either backroads, dirt roads, whatever!

jentzschman

I want to get a DRZ for some longer rides like this and some street use. I like the DRZ as they are very common, reliable, and overall good bike. I would love to do some dual sport overnighters like this at some point down the road.

Caleb

I'd love to if I got me a big bike. However, I'm thinking that will be next year though. :)

Hopefully the 690 runs perfect for you now.

D

Deleted member 12904

I want to get a DRZ for some longer rides like this and some street use. I like the DRZ as they are very common, reliable, and overall good bike. I would love to do some dual sport overnighters like this at some point down the road.

If you haven't spent much seat time on one you should take mine for a spin I think you will be surprised how well they do as a trail bike.

jentzschman

If you haven't spent much seat time on one you should take mine for a spin I think you will be surprised how well they do as a trail bike.

I have heard they do well as a trail bike, just heavier then what one would typically want. (again, from what I hear)

I want to one so I can ride street again. Something about a dirt/dual sport bike that has me craving one for street this time around.

Greg

Admin
Hells yeah! I would love to go, it all depends on the dates, Market is coming up quick so my weekends will be shot.

It may be a couple weeks before I can commit to any dates, need to make sure the 690 is good to go.

I wouldn't mind cruising some back-highways up around Strawberry Res, Kamas, etc. Something inbetween for you Utahans and myself. I wouldn't mind exploring the Uintahs or further South like the mountains around Fish Lake, etc.

Does it count as dual sport if I trailer my Honda behind the Aprilia? Because I could figure that out...

Yeaaah, no. :p

While a DRZ would probably do the job, something that was a bit more road-friendly would be comfortable in the long run. I'd like to cover a couple hundred miles a day, on and off pavement.

I'd love to if I got me a big bike. However, I'm thinking that will be next year though. :)

Hopefully the 690 runs perfect for you now.

I hope you pick something up Caleb!

I really want to 690 to run perfectly, I like the bike... just wish it wasn't as problematic as it has been.

Greg

Admin
Next weekend I'm heading out with a few locals to ride to Moab & back, mostly in the dirt. There will be a handful of big KTM 990 Adventures, so it's not going to be too difficult. It's going to be a day ride and I'm planning on 250+ miles. Should be fun! I'm looking forward to seeing how the 690 compares to the BIG bikes.

I realize most guys riding on here are geared more towards dirt bikes, but if anyone had a bike capable of multi-day dirt touring and is interested in any of the following, speak up!

I have a few places I'd like to ride... I'm going to try ride both the UTBDR (Utah Back Country Discovery Route) and COBDR (Colorado) this summer. I would like to ride the COBDR towards the end of July and the UTBDR towards the end of August. Planning on 5-7 days for each one. These will be 100% self-sufficient rides, probably camping every other night or more... with occasional stops for gas, cleaning up and food. These are mostly dirt roads, so a capable bike and rider are highly recommended. You can read more about those rides here, there is a TON of info!

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

Also, I would like to plan out a Moab weekend... ride the White Rim Trail one day, spend the next exploring the La Sal's and beyond. It's already starting to get plenty warm down this way so a Moab trip will either have to happen soon, or wait until this Fall. The White Rim will require 150 miles of range and is somewhat challenging, lots of rocky ledges, loose sand, etc. Knobbies are recommended!

Anyone interested?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
All this Dual Sport talk lately has me going stir crazy! I'm going for a smaller loop tomorrow to see how my back does. I haven't had any major fits with it lately so hopefully I can plan more saddle time soon.