Dual sport ride weekend around Hanksville this Spring?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So after a recent drive into some of the canyons around Hanksville, I'm very interested in doing some dual sport riding down there over a long weekend. I'm thinking about getting a motel room and making big day rides, say 150-200 miles in a day. I would be on the DR650, so not doing too much super-technical riding, more fun backcountry roads type stuff. I would like to have company, just in case... it's a pretty remote area!

I'd like to ride from the motel in Hanksville every morning and return in the evening. I'm thinking a Friday, Saturday & Sunday, heading home Sunday afternoon. I would want to make some loops, including riding thru Poison Spring Canyon, fording the Dirty Devil River, then heading up and into Hans Flat and the Maze. The riding could be pretty rough, at least in Poison Spring Canyon... it's very sandy, with a lot of loose baby-head rocks. Could make for tough going!

Anyone interested and up for something like this?

sixstringsteve

Caleb, you need to update your avatar. That CRF was sexy, but the KTM is an entirely different level.

Sounds like a great trip. I don't think my seatless, 25 mile per tank trials bike is suited for this trip :D

Last edited:

GAR

This sounds like something I'd be into for sure! Any idea of dates? I'm slowing filling up my calender for the summer. Probably want to go before it gets too hot.

Does 150-200 miles include pits for gas? I'm still not sure on the range of my bike but 150 is probably pushing it. Might have to get some auxiliary tanks.

Greg

Admin
Just a taste of what you guys will be missing if you don't make it... :p

P4150779-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
This sounds like something I'd be into for sure! Any idea of dates? I'm slowing filling up my calender for the summer. Probably want to go before it gets too hot.

Does 150-200 miles include pits for gas? I'm still not sure on the range of my bike but 150 is probably pushing it. Might have to get some auxiliary tanks.

I'm thinking around or before Memorial Day weekend, but I'm pretty flexible. For sure before it gets too hot.

I can carry 7 gallons of gas, 5 in the tank and 2 additional gallons on the back of the bike... I should be able to get 200 miles out of a tank, so I'd have additional fuel, but I don't want to carry everyone's extra fuel, if you follow.

Aux and/or a desert tank is ideal... your KTM would be perfect for this, my DR would be a bit piggy in the sand, but it's comfortable and has way more fuel carrying ability than my WR450.

Greg

Admin
I could take the WR450, but I don't know that I could get 150 miles out of it, probably closer to 130? There aren't a lot of places to make a fuel stop either. If others are going to be on more dirt-oriented bikes, I would bring my similar bike and work with what we have.

GAR

I'm thinking around or before Memorial Day weekend, but I'm pretty flexible. For sure before it gets too hot.

I can carry 7 gallons of gas, 5 in the tank and 2 additional gallons on the back of the bike... I should be able to get 200 miles out of a tank, so I'd have additional fuel, but I don't want to carry everyone's extra fuel, if you follow.

Aux and/or a desert tank is ideal... your KTM would be perfect for this, my DR would be a bit piggy in the sand, but it's comfortable and has way more fuel carrying ability than my WR450.

geez man, 7 gallons? I think mine's 3. I need to run out of gas a few times to see how far I can go on a tank.... wait, maybe there's an easier way to figure that out.

Around memorial day sounds good to me. My wife has been talking about taking a trip to see her family so it might work out perfect. I have every other friday off work too. I'll let you know what weekend would work better and we can go from there

I better start looking for a new rear tire. I'm replacing fork seals right now so that should be set.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'd love to come down and ride with you Greg, however going to be totally dependent on the days you pick. As I don't have a lot of seniority and can't get a lot of time off atm, but I do have 4 days off every other week.

Also be on a WR450 with a desert tank, not near your range.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Don't stay in the hotel on the west side of town, stay in the one by the burger joint east side of town. The west one is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. And I have stayed at the apache in moab. First thing the guy said to us a couple years ago " You can't even tell a flood came thorugh this whole place last year." Kori made me wear shoes the whole time