dunes? who wants to go

Cascadia

Undecided
I've never been to the dunes or even seen them. Where do you plan on going? Do you have to have a special front tire also or just the rear paddle tire?

Tonkaman

I've never been to the dunes or even seen them. Where do you plan on going? Do you have to have a special front tire also or just the rear paddle tire?

No need for a different front tire, it typically just skims the surface anyway. I'm sure he is talking about Little Sahara which is just outside of Delta, about 1 1/2 hour drive from SLC. I highly recommend giving it a shot it's unlike anything else

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Ugh I wish I didn't have to work this weekend.

Cascadia, The dunes are insanely fun once you get used to riding them. I'd highly recomend going just to see what its all about. Don't forget the whip 'safety' flag ;)

I wish you guy's lived closer I have several paddle tires that I'd be more than happy to lend out :-\

rholbrook

This time of year a paddle is NOT a must. Yes it will be much easier but not a must. Don't let not having a paddle keep you from going especially if you have never been and not sure if you will like it. Do make sure you have a descent rear tire though. I have a 16" rear paddle if someone wants to buy or borrow. If you don't have a flag, they generally sell them at the visitor center or what ever they call it but you do need to have a way of mounting them.

Stratton, I have a mount and flag you can borrow if needed

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I was thinking we meet at the either Sand Mountain or White Sands at 10am on Saturday.

I have 2 flags if anyone needs a second.

I fabed up a flag mount from some angle iron last time I went.

Last time I went I didn't have a paddle and it was still a riot, I couldn't make it up Sunset ridge though without a paddle.

Sounds so fun! How far of a drive is it from st george?

223 miles

buy this
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=22888317&cat=463&lpid=&search=19 paddle

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Would I have more fun with a paddle? I want to be able to keep up with everyone and do what everyone else is doing. How long do you plan on being out Stratton? Is one tank of gas enough?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ya you'll have more fun with a paddle, but don't let that stop you. I had a riot last time with Harper and I didn't have one.

You'll be fine with what's in your tank. Just throw a 5 gallon tank in the truck.

We usually go out and mess around for an hour or so then head back to the trucks, rest chill eat some food, go back out.

Tonkaman

I was thinking we meet at the either Sand Mountain or White Sands at 10am on Saturday.

Last time I went I didn't have a paddle and it was still a riot, I couldn't make it up Sunset ridge though without a paddle.

I prefer to ride around sand mountain for the big rolling bowls and less witch eyes. White sands may be better if most don't have a paddle since the hills are less steep. Riding without a paddle is still fun but if your on the fence about using one just do it, you will be in greater control and be able to climb anything

Cascadia

Undecided
I picked up my Utah Jazz whip flag tonight at Motofrugals, as well as [icked up my bike that I was having tuned up. Everyone told me it was my valves. They told me valves were perfect and in spec. They changed out the pilot jet, replaced my fuel line which had a kink in it and a couple other little tweaks. They said it ran perfect and started after a couple kicks every time. I got it home, it kicked and then ran like ti did before, died, ran rough, then died again, then couldn't get it started. I'm taking it back in in the morning. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Seems like one of those cases where you take your car to the mechanic and tell him what it's doing and then it won't do it for him. As soon as you get it back it does it to you again. Sucky!!