Dust to Glory....

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
OK so I rarely get out of the Chit Chat and For Sale forums these days but I finally rented Dust to Glory the other day and I have to say that I was VERY impressed.

First off, the Cinematography was masterful...I really felt like I was there watching the event in person...everything except the gritty silty dust in my face!! Whoever designed the filming scheme was a fanatic but it really showed in the final product.

A documentary type movie about a race brings forth visions of boring nASScar events but these guys managed to work in a few main plots with some sub-plots that really brought you into the movie and got your brain involved...they left you hanging a couple of times but it was worth it in the end when they wrapped everything at the end. There was actual plot...a begininning, middle, and end!!

After seeing the coverage of the Dakar Rally I was sold on it being the roughest toughest race in the world but the Baja 1000 is the longest point to point non stop event in the world...and they really helped you feel like it was a serious undertaking through the attrition footage...a lot of metal and fiberglass is left on that course every year!!

It is worth it to watch all of the bonus footage when you get the DVD...I mean nobody really rents VHS anymore do they....we are in the 21st century and all...and if you have a plasma...you will like it even more.

I know SCORE is a cousin to rock crawling and you guys should pop on down to the store and pick this up...it is not a simple documentary...some of the best stories are from real life!!

I give it 4.5 out of 5 bent and twisted dana 35 axle shafts. :rofl:

Ohh...and for the Brand loyal chuckle-heads...it has plenty of blue oval and pink..I mean blue bow-tie in it....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/dust_to_glory.html

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
Agreed

I bought it when it came out without ever seeing it. I have always like offroad racing but have never been able to attend let alone compete. This movie is the next best thing. The stories told and the subplots that are explained show without a dought the determination and drive that these competitiors are built of. I is amazing on film, imagine it in real life!
So , if its bent 35 axles then I would give it a 4.9 out of 5. Never a 5 because nothings ever perfect, it only looks like it:greg: .

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The thing that blows me away, is the fact that they filmed the whole race in less than 40 hours, nonstop. The special features really open your eyes about how difficult it would be to film a one day race.

teknodestrukto

I watched this several months ago and loved it. The motorcycle guys are from another planet. If you've never been to one of these races it's worth the time to go. I went to the Terrible's 300 race in Henderson, NV in December of '04 and I can tell you there's nothing like watching a Trophy class truck pass 10' in front of you at 120 mph:eek: There's something about 850 hp that makes you feel all funny...

teknodestrukto said:
If you've never been to one of these races it's worth the time to go. I went to the Terrible's 300 race in Henderson, NV in December of '04 and I can tell you there's nothing like watching a Trophy class truck pass 10' in front of you at 120 mph:eek: There's something about 850 hp that makes you feel all funny...
Desert racing is in my blood.... I've raced SCORE, SNORE, but mostly BORE, the local association.
It's perty dang addicting...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Desert Dino said:
Desert racing is in my blood.... I've raced SCORE, SNORE, but mostly BORE, the local association.
It's perty dang addicting...

You know Russ, I kept thinking of you while I watched DTG... I saw a picture of you airing out an old CJ7 somewhere and can't get over the whole desert scene. I keep telling myself I am going to get out and see the BORE stuff one of these days! :cool:

cruiseroutfit said:
You know Russ, I kept thinking of you while I watched DTG... I saw a picture of you airing out an old CJ7 somewhere and can't get over the whole desert scene. I keep telling myself I am going to get out and see the BORE stuff one of these days! :cool:
I'm planning on getting the ole dinosour out of the shed sone... take it out to 5 mile or someplace where I can air it out.... you otta be there, you can take it fer a cruse...if you dare...HA ha ha ha....(evil laugh)

cruiseroutfit said:
I'm planning on getting the ole dinosour out of the shed soon... take it out to 5 mile or someplace where I can air it out.... you otta be there, you can take it fer a cruse...if you dare...HA ha ha ha....(evil laugh)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Desert Dino said:
I'm planning on getting the ole dinosour out of the shed sone... take it out to 5 mile or someplace where I can air it out.... you otta be there, you can take it fer a cruse...if you dare...HA ha ha ha....(evil laugh)

Lets do it!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I rented Dust to Glory a few weeks back... needless to say, I bought it just after I returned it. :cool:

I think I'll go watch the Baja 1000 this November. :D

XJEEPER

My buddy that introduced me to Moab years ago, has pitted for BFG on the Baja race for the last 6-7 years. On his first trip south of the border, some punk Federalies in a hummer threw a roadblock on them at 3am, guns drawn. Quite an eye opener for a local Moab boy!
The Baja-seasoned driver of the BFG semi jumped out smiling and started pulling posters and tshirts out of a side door.......they holstered their weapons and accepted the "gifts", hopped in the hummer and sped away. He's got lots of great stories.....most are about close calls, wild wrecks and crazy locals.

I bought a couple of DTG cd's a few weeks ago and spotted my buddy in some of the pit stop footage......he says that it's a huge rush but you work your tail off for 3 days straight. Great experience, killer movie, awesome footage.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Desert Dino said:
I'm planning on getting the ole dinosour out of the shed soon... take it out to 5 mile or someplace where I can air it out.... you otta be there, you can take it fer a cruse...if you dare...HA ha ha ha....(evil laugh)

You KNOW I'm there. When's this happening?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I posted this almost two years ago...jeez...I still watch this every time I see it on the movie channels while I am at work...I've seen it probably 50 times and it never stops being exciting.