Eagles Nest illegal bypass

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
Who do we need to contact to get this taken care of before we lose this trail?

The last time I was out there about 3 weeks ago, it looked like a highway.

Edit: It also wouldn't be a bad idea to discuss putting in a winch anchor, so we don't kill the tree we are currently using!

Badger

I am the Brute squad
well there are several points that need to be addresses on constrictor.

1. the very begining.the gate way in is not even being used there is a huge driveway for a bypass
2.the tree above radiator rapids is being hammered pretty tough
3.the bypass on eagles nest
4. the tree above eagles nest is getting abused and it needs an anchor point or two.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Con has been raped, nothing short of it... As for the resolution, some plans are in works, but nothing "official" as of yet.

Short list of needs...
repair & remove bypass at the gate
repair & remove bypass at the Eagles Nest
The Fang is beyond repair (not that it wasn't inevitable)
Winch anchor at Eagles Nest (and fix? the 10+ trees that are destroyed/gone)
Official exit, mabey even sign.

There are some major complications with these plans... If someone is interested in making this happen, get ahold of me (via phone please) and I will give you the scoop on what needs to happen and how we need to go about making it happen.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
cruiseroutfit said:
Con has been raped, nothing short of it... As for the resolution, some plans are in works, but nothing "official" as of yet.

Short list of needs...
repair & remove bypass at the gate
repair & remove bypass at the Eagles Nest
The Fang is beyond repair (not that it wasn't inevitable)
Winch anchor at Eagles Nest (and fix? the 10+ trees that are destroyed/gone)
Official exit, mabey even sign.

There are some major complications with these plans... If someone is interested in making this happen, get ahold of me (via phone please) and I will give you the scoop on what needs to happen and how we need to go about making it happen.
Remember what we said when the trail was introduced to the board? There are plenty of means to keep the trail hard. It just take a little work. Soon the Cruiser will be up for the task again.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Shawn said:
Sad, At the time I thought we were doing a good thing.

Kind of makes you not want to tell about anyothers don't it.:(

I've ran constrictor once it was awsome, but looking back at the old pic's it was alot harder back 3-4 years ago.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Kris K said:
Kind of makes you not want to tell about anyothers don't it.:(
I'm pruty sure this is what is going on. I haven't wheeled for some time now so I'm only 95% sure. In the old days there were several posts every day about going out and getting everyone together. Noadays, there are less. How many post do you see that include members on this board that have been on here for a long time?

Thi strail can be fixed. Problem is, it won't stay fixed. This board has battled over and over about the snake trails, you would think that people would be watching out for the trail more than abusing it. What hurts me the is the amount of time and effort that was put into this trail just to see it abused.

I would kind of hope that with over 4000 members on this board that the education of keeping this trail a 5 rated trail rather than transforming it to a subara trail just wouldn't happen.

Please forgive me for being one of the few to intro this trail to this board. If I would have only known.:-\

I'm sure I'll get completely blasted, but...

What's wrong with having a few bypasses on that trail? We had a truck stuck on the first obstacle, and used the bypass to bring another truck up to pull out the first truck. Sure, the first guy shouldn't have gotten stuck, but if the bypass hadn't been there then it would have become a VERY difficult extraction due to how he'd gotten stuck.

Is the concern that it becomes too easy and invites stockers on that particular trail? Is it that you don't want a stock TJ owner to be able to say, "yeah, I ran constrictor?"

The trail is still a 5 if you follow the right path. Having a little "frontage road" of bypasses is actually nice (although not ideal in every instance). I'm thinking of situations where there's a breakdown needing extraction or people coming back down the trail.

I'm not advocating the widening of any trails, and anyone who has wheeled with me knows how anal I am about treading lightly. I'm just wondering why we'd expend considerable effort closing the open (and in my view harmless) bypasses. Unless we're talking about some kind of permanently mounted, reinforced fencing I'm not sure how we'd close the bypasses.

Please, let me know where I'm going wrong with this line of thinking. I'm just trying to understand the circumstances involved.

I'm all for establishing winch points to avoid damage to trees. That would be a great project.

Edited note: I talked to Kurt and got some info about this. Now I'm understanding the problem a little better. But please feel free to comment anyway.

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
the problem is it is rated a 5+(or was) in my eyes this means that no stock truck should be going up it.also as i see it anything over 4+ you should be able to recover yourself meaning have your own winch and means to use it correctly.

did you guys even run constrictor? i know you guys did Rattlesnake and tried Waynes World.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
scoutabout said:
Telling people about trails IS a good thing. It's not your fault if people don't respect the land.
I was told over and over that this would happen. I wan't people to come outand enjoy the trail. I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought that someone would cut a by pass at the nest....

Badger said:
the problem is it is rated a 5+(or was) in my eyes this means that no stock truck should be going up it.also as i see it anything over 4+ you should be able to recover yourself meaning have your own winch and means to use it correctly.

did you guys even run constrictor? i know you guys did Rattlesnake and tried Waynes World.

Some of the guys did, and I stayed around long enough to watch the first truck get stuck in that hole.

I see what you're saying, and it totally makes sense. I'm not sure how we solve the problem, but I understand it better. Thanks for the info.

toys4rocks

Shawn, sorry but our sport is a double egded sword. We need as many people doing it to show that it is unacceptable to close land and restrict access.

On the other hand hand, more people = more abuse! We can't educate every single person, and sadly some just don't care.

What we can do is get together as many people as we can and fix our trail. We can also stop the people we see tearing up the trail, blazing new lines, etc.

I have no problem saying something to some in person or on the web. Idiocy is endangering our trail.

If you don't want to get into a situation on the trail, take pictures get license plate numbers and try to catch them in the act. Send it to the sherriffs dept.

If enough of us do it, then they have to at least look into the complaints.

If I do something dumb, or go off the trail. Step up and tell me, I will not go off the trail on purpose!

I was glad to come back from California, I was hoping the people here were a little smarter about what they have available to them. Sadly it looks like I was mistaken............. :(

toys4rocks

When we are ready to do something about this, I will offer up my backyard for the BBQ and planning meeting.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
When we will people understand the simple concept for wheelin-

#1 Don't make easy trails hard.
ie all of the alternate routes on poison spider. Yes there are a bunch of us that can make a right turn at the water fall, but should we?

#2 Don't make hard trails easy.
ie with enough effort we can pave every trail out there or make bypasses so the family mini van can see the scenery, but again should we?

We that said, how can I help?
Kurt just let me know when and where...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
IT IS A CRIME WHAT HAS HAPPEN TO THIS TRAIL :mad: . I am all for helping, just let me know what I can do.

and as far as bypasses they are unacceptable. I agree with Badger you shouldn't be there if you don't have the eqipment to extract yourself from all but the worst case situation, ie; axle broke in half, catistrofic ball joint failure and the like.

dabears

May be next year
toys4rocks said:
If you don't want to get into a situation on the trail, take pictures get license plate numbers and try to catch them in the act. Send it to the sherriffs dept.

If enough of us do it, then they have to at least look into the complaints.

:(
also let them know that you are part of RME. therefore they know who is part of the solution and not part of the problem.

i would like to know when the repairs will take place so i can help, but i would need a lift. because i like to stick to the trails i know i can make (3+).