More flex for20230317_131842.jpg Eric

Obligatory fancy landscape pic20230317_135705.jpg

Steel Bender scratched my #rocktrix wheel20230317_135718.jpg

Serious washout from recent storms20230317_142414.jpg

33* going down the steep drop off halfway through the trail20230317_154429.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We had a great day in the trail. Started at 1pm and hit the improved road at the end at 5:29pm. We were moving but not flying.

Both rigs worked well. I don't know why Steel Bender gets a bad rap. I quite like the trail in the JT. I didn't have to use a locker but hit my bed skids a few times and the hitch 6-7 times. Belly a couple of times (belly concerns me). I can totally see why @Greg went to the 39" tires. I'm seriously considering swapping the "Jeep" tires to the JT and the JT tires to the"Jeep" before EJS. That should give me 3/4-1" of belly height which would be appreciated. Usually you can drive around the belly but there are times that's pretty dangerous to the sheet metal health. I am concerned about the D44 axles despite the internet lore about how bitchin they are

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
@mike thurston -- what is up with Green River this weekend? Rays was absolutely packed. We went to the Mexican food place next door. I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. I'd give Rays 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Motels are pretty booked as well

RockChucker

Considering those 39” km3s are really a big 37 or maybe a 38 at best, it seems like you would be fine? You don’t seem to be the throttle jockey type or the guy that has to make it through when bound up. I did see that 1480 size ujoint shafts are available for the modern d44s…so there’s your Dana 60 strength in shaft on a weak housing. I have been really impressed with my km3s. Only complaint is the size. Wish they were an actual 39 or that bfg would hurry up and release a 40

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
.... I quite like the trail in the JT. I didn't have to use a locker but hit my bed skids a few times and the hitch 6-7 times. Belly a couple of times (belly concerns me). I can totally see why @Greg went to the 39" tires. I'm seriously considering swapping the "Jeep" tires to the JT and the JT tires to the"Jeep" before EJS. That should give me 3/4-1" of belly height which would be appreciated. Usually you can drive around the belly but there are times that's pretty dangerous to the sheet metal health. I am concerned about the D44 axles despite the internet lore about how bitchin they are

With a massive 137" wheelbase, a significant amount of overhang and plenty of important parts under the belly, 39-40's and 3-4" lift make the Gladiator much more capable. I still manage to drag the hitch every now and again, but the truck is so much easier to drive with big tires.

The wheelbase and breakover are a PITA on harder trails, but every now and again that massive wheelbase pays off and the JT will walk right up something you would have thought was impossible.

At this point, my stock axles are holding up... but I don't drive it on the throttle, I'm cautious getting it bound up, etc. I would like to upgrade to aftermarket ball joints, add steel knuckles, aftermarket u-joints and shafts as well as aftermarket tie rod and ends. IMO, the Artec truss was a good addition with the big tires.