Eco-Nazi's going after Mountain bikes now.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
"when they came for the Jews...."

Maybe now they'll start to see how awful Eco-Fascism really is. :D That sucks, though Mill D is kind of a crappy mt. bike trail anyway... but that's not really the point.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
"when they came for the Jews...."

Maybe now they'll start to see how awful Eco-Fascism really is. :D That sucks, though Mill D is kind of a crappy mt. bike trail anyway... but that's not really the point.

It is ironic seeing as how many MTB'ers are some of the biggest greenies out there, now maybe they will finally see what side of this issue they are really on.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I don't think a lot of mtn bikers realize that they fall into the category of mechanized transportation and are tied with ATVs, motorcycles and 4x4's. Many of them dread sharing a trail with motorized vehicles but in the eyes of the enviro-Nazis, they're all the same.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That is exactly what I say to every sneering MTB'r I meet... I have a bike that is currently insured for more than any 2 of my vehicles combined, I'm no gearhead snob. I take my 4x4 to the trailhead damnit, just like them, but mine's not a Subaru.

The Green Movement is against all human use of nature. It's my hope that the mountain biking community would join forces against that evil, maybe I'm a dreamer. I know there are lot of both groups on this board though... :D

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
If you look at a lot of the press releases from the enviro groups they try to always say "motorized" instead of "mechanized"

Well of course, if they alienated the MTB crowd, they wouldn't get near the support (or money);), they want to keep them happy right up to the moment they close the single track and pop their tires. Its easy to say "we're only after the smoke belching throttle jockeys" hell it's what everyone wants to hear. If all you do is mountain bike, it sounds great; trails all to yourself, no enignes to worry about and you get to be the fastest on the trail.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
More mountain bikers under fire...

Bicyclist in trouble again over illegal trail at China Camp

05/01/2008 11:29:55 PM PDT

A San Rafael man who built an illegal bike trial on federal land in 2001 is in legal trouble again - this time for carving a trail in China Camp State Park, authorities said.

Michael Philip More, 54, was charged Thursday in Marin Superior Court with willful or negligent destruction or removal of plants and dead wood, diverting or obstructing the natural flow of a stream, resisting a peace officer and allowing a dog to roam off-leash in a restricted area, prosecutors said.

More is accused of digging an illegal bike trail into a hillside, hacking down tree limbs and constructing rock paths through two drainage ditches, authorities said. The quarter-mile trail is at the end of Robinhood Drive in San Rafael's Glenwood neighborhood, which borders the state park.

The cost of repairing the damage is estimated at $20,000, said Kathryn Mitchell, a senior county prosecutor.

Dave Gould, the superintendent overseeing state parks in Marin, said the damage to the natural resources was "significant."

"It looks like chainsaws were used and trail-building tools to carve out the hillside," he said. "This isn't where 15 people walked up and down the hillside and you can see their path - this is an attempt to construct an illegal trail."

More, who could not be reached for comment, has pleaded not guilty. His attorney, Patrick Ciocca, said More would be "loathe to engage in a public discussion" about the allegations while preparing his defense.

"It would not be beneficial for him to enter into a public dialogue," Ciocca said.

Park rangers received a tip about the trail in March, when a resident noticed unusual activity in the area. A ranger investigating the trail found More at the scene, and More allegedly tried to flee.

More was cited, but not arrested, while prosecutors reviewed the case. He is scheduled to be appear in court on May 9.

Alex Burnham, president of the San Rafael-based Access4Bikes advocacy group, said he is concerned that the case will tarnish the entire bicycling community and inflame tensions between cyclists and noncyclists. The issue of trail use has fueled years of acidic conflict among hikers, bikers, equestrians and dog owners, with the county sometimes resorting to barbed wire to block cyclists from trails.

"We do not condone this behavior," Burnham said. "We advocate for legal trails. "In Marin County, the trail user community is so polarized that anything that occurs is a blight that gets thrown on the community of mountain bikers."

More was once a prominent bicycling activist, serving on the Marin County Open Space District Trails Committee. But he resigned the position in 2001 when federal authorities accused him and two other men of carving a four-mile illegal bike trail into the Golden Gate National Recreation Area near Bolinas Ridge.

All three men were indicted by a federal grand jury and eventually pleaded guilty to misdemeanors. They were ordered to pay more than $34,000 in restitution for the destruction to federal property, placed on probation for three years and banned from the federal park system during probation.

They apologized in court.

allterrain

AllTerrain
It's about time these guys woke up.
All the years our Jeep trails were threatened and being closed we begged them to get involved without success. Now that it hits them where they live they are chiming in.
Motorized means mechanized of any kind.

Caleb

It's about time these guys woke up.
All the years our Jeep trails were threatened and being closed we begged them to get involved without success. Now that it hits them where they live they are chiming in.
Motorized means mechanized of any kind.
Yep, as much as I hate to say it, it's kind of funny to see these guys scrambling. They seem to think they are exempt form the Enviro-Nazis.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
I've been avidly hiking the Wasatch Front wilderness areas since 1990 and irregularly for years prior.

I've been mountain biking Mill D since the mid 90's (before suspension and aluminum where affordable) it is a great workout ridden uphill and a fun shorter method for riding the upper Wasatch crest.

As a canyon user and wilderness benifactor, I've always been suspicious of SOC. One quick look at the proposal map and I get the "suwa chills" just the same as that organazations underhanded practices give me.

Reason? White pine canyon is included. Why that bothers me? Mining and dam access roads should be enough of a no brainer. Those and the large (compared to neighboring canyons) dam at the lake are man made structures rendering the area not suitable for wilderness designation under the previous act of congress. Don't even get me started on the rest of the map I dont' even need to go there.

If this goes through then what next? Any land is up for grabs for inclusion as wilderness weather your house sits on it now or not or weather it was completely bull dozed back in 1941 or not. I'm a believer in true wilderness designation for a purpose and this is simply just non wilderness land getting recognition it does not deserve.

As a mountainbiker before a jeeper I've always recognized the benifit of motorized access routes, not all mountainbikers are greenies only some.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I'm glad the two of you are the exception rather than the rule. But I have nothing to go by other than my own personal experiences and the attitudes of those I've talked with. Those with an attitude somewhat like yours I never meet at all. At this point I would have to say that I've had very negative experiences with more than 10,000 bike riders.

My experience involving Mountain Bikes, in fact all bikes, is very negative regarding thier opinions toward vehicles of any kind. They all seem to feel that all roads are their property and were made for them alone. A fact I find very upsetting. I've yet to see a bike of any kind that helped pay for the road it is using, yet all of their riders will insist that they are the owner of that road. God forbid that you drive a vehicle on "their" road, even though more than 99% of them got where they are in a vehicle of some kind. And 100% of all roads were created by and for vehicles.

Hopefully these people will wake up one day and realize that they are considered part of the problem as well by certian others, the Enviro-Nazi movement hates them too. Hopefully they will also realize that in Utah the rules of the road apply equally to them, maybe when/if law enforcement pushes that issue.

Sorry about digging up an older post, but this issue is at the forefront for me. I simply don't see those people changing their attitudes right now.

D Witherspoon

The first paved roads in the U.S. were paved for bicycles, back when cyclists outnumbered drivers 1000 to 1.
Prior to that, most roads were built for horses, pedestrians, livestock and wagons. "Vehicles," I guess?

Roads are paid for mainly by property and income taxes, not gas taxes or registration fees. Thus bicycle riders - even if they never drive a car - pay for their share of the national transportation system.

Bicycles cause essentially no wear and tear on roads, so a person who rode a bike instead of a car would be paying for far more than his share of the roads.

Bicycles are legal transportation on nearly all roads. Driving on a public road is a privilege, not a right, and that privilege depends on the users obeying the laws of the road.

One of the more important laws is "thou shalt not kill."
So share the road.

But do stick around. Enviro-Nazis just looove people like you. :p

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I Those with an attitude somewhat like yours I never meet at all. At this point I would have to say that I've had very negative experiences with more than 10,000 bike riders.

Statistically I'd have to say that you can't possibly be completely truthful in this statement. You may be a bigger part of the problem if you haven't met any rational mountain bikers in 10k encounters.

Lots of mountain bikers own SUV's and trucks to get where they're going. I would say in my 20+ yrs of mountain biking, that I have met probably 10 or so real "EnviroNazis", the rest of them have just been normal everyday people.

Might want to do a little introspection and ask yourself if your attitude might be reflected in the people you meet or not. It's not like there's a huge army of Green Bikers out there, waging war against 4wd'ers. *shrug*

Hell, the Colorado Cyclist mail order guys have Jeeps, filled with bike repair parts, that they gave me for free when I went riding in Moab. Oh the irony. :D

ID Bronco

In my dirtbiking days I met many mountain bikers who were jerks. They thought they were superior because they "worked" to get there. Maybe it was me though because I was on a dirt bike. It reminds me of the fly fisherman turning up his nose at a worm fisherman.

Caleb

Lets keep this somewhat on topic...its not "US" vs. "THEM" in regards to the motorized crowd and the mt. bike crowd. We are all wanting the same thing so lets work TOGETHER to accomplish this. Letting the environmentalists close a trail that's bikes only hurts us as much as it does the mount bike crowd. It sets a precedence that we can't have if we want to keep our public lands accessible to the entire public populace. ;)

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Lets keep this somewhat on topic...its not "US" vs. "THEM" in regards to the motorized crowd and the mt. bike crowd. We are all wanting the same thing so lets work TOGETHER to accomplish this. Letting the environmentalists close a trail that's bikes only hurts us as much as it does the mount bike crowd. It sets a precedence that we can't have if we want to keep our public lands accessible to the entire public populace. ;)

Yup we are (or should) be on the same page as the MTB crowd. I'm part of both crowds.