Electric vs. "fossil fuel"- how will electric vehicles affect off-roading?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You’re definitely a better man than I. 😂 I’m motivated to fab/weld, turn wrenches, and wheel for me (and my trips have become far and few between). It’s also a lifestyle that pre-dates them. If a girlfriend/spouse/kids wanna come, I’m super accommodating and will make it happen to almost any extent. However, EV is my personal “bridge too far”. 🤷‍♂️
My wife wanting a little more noise and hp is a constant reminder that I have made one good decision in my life.

DAA

I've nothing against EV's. If they work for somebody, great. I don't think I'll live long enough to see them work for me though. Maybe, maybe, when I'm too old and weak to do anything worth a crap anyway. But that isn't that far off and I don't see EV's getting there that soon.

- DAA

Houndoc

Regardless of any EV’s “pros” and even if they have superior capabilities in any way, the underlying (and far broader) issue for many will be the soulless, disconnected driving experience. The sounds, smells, and feel associated with modern and vintage 4x4s (having conventional power/drivetrains) is an important part of the appeal, although kind of taken for granted. I don’t think many have given this aspect much thought, but once realized, I believe there will be more pushback. The off-road adventures I remember most involve the smell of hot tires on slickrock, burning off oil after a rollover, or an ATF soaked t-shirt used to fix a tranny line. I could go on and on sounding like the 50 year old I am, but you get the point. Sure, much of this is generational, and younger folks will be more accepting of EV’s for use off-road, and probably won’t have a choice. For now, rigs hitting obstacles while bouncing off the rev limiter is priceless and no EV can make it any less cool.

Personally, I have no problem with peaceful, quiet times in the back country. And the less that needs repair the better.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Personally, I have no problem with peaceful, quiet times in the back country. And the less that needs repair the better.
These will be appealing aspects to many for sure. If it’s as simple as that, cool. To each their own. 👍

The “tinfoil hat” side of my brain has concerns that the same advanced technology that allow for the conveniences such as quiet operation/reliability, will at some point be used to interfere with where and how you recreate. Remote shutoffs or ticketing sound like something out of the question to anyone? For example, let’s say Moab city gets their current wish for an OHV/trail curfew. Could that mean your OHV registered EV within city limits won’t start or be at reduced power certain hours of the night? Does your EV Hummer or Rivian shut off at the trail head or maybe just get a ticket in the mail later showing you those gps coordinates? 🤷‍♂️ Good times…

RockChucker

These will be appealing aspects to many for sure. If it’s as simple as that, cool. To each their own. 👍

The “tinfoil hat” side of my brain has concerns that the same advanced technology that allow for the conveniences such as quiet operation/reliability, will at some point be used to interfere with where and how you recreate. Remote shutoffs or ticketing sound like something out of the question to anyone? For example, let’s say Moab city gets their current wish for an OHV/trail curfew. Could that mean your OHV registered EV within city limits won’t start or be at reduced power certain hours of the night? Does your EV Hummer or Rivian shut off at the trail head or maybe just get a ticket in the mail later showing you those gps coordinates? 🤷‍♂️ Good times…
If they can do that to an EV, they can do that to any new combustion vehicle too...just sayin'...

EVs are cool, but I'm not there yet. I do love the sounds of freedom that escape exhaust pipes.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
If they can do that to an EV, they can do that to any new combustion vehicle too...just sayin'...

EVs are cool, but I'm not there yet. I do love the sounds of freedom that escape exhaust pipes.
True, but there will always be the stubborn crowd keeping their old junk until not a viable option. 🤘

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I love my old CJ but I also love my Tesla. After driving the Tesla for 6 months now and realizing it’s a superior vehicle in nearly every way. I can’t wait until there is a viable all electric off-road vehicle.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member

EV UTV fire and sema. I’m assuming it was just sitting at the time it started.
Pretty sure this is the UTV from "Rich Rebuilds."

He is a pretty big "right to repair" guy and got a lot of attention fighting with tesla to get parts and whatnot. I've watched a bunch of his videos lately and they seem to be leaning towards entertainment rather than nuts and bolts but he's made some neat vehicles.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Meh... I've kept old Triumph motorcycles with original Lucas electrics in my garage for years. I like to live on the edge.

Getting old and scared though, the one out there now, I took the battery out of it...

- DAA
Regional VP at my corporate slave house job had his house burn down after one of those chinesium hover board things caught fire in his garage while charging. :grimacing:

Last edited:

XJEEPER

Regardless of any EV’s “pros” and even if they have superior capabilities in any way, the underlying (and far broader) issue for many will be the soulless, disconnected driving experience. The sounds, smells, and feel associated with modern and vintage 4x4s (having conventional power/drivetrains) is an important part of the appeal, although kind of taken for granted. I don’t think many have given this aspect much thought, but once realized, I believe there will be more pushback. The off-road adventures I remember most involve the smell of hot tires on slickrock, burning off oil after a rollover, or an ATF soaked t-shirt used to fix a tranny line. I could go on and on sounding like the 50 year old I am, but you get the point. Sure, much of this is generational, and younger folks will be more accepting of EV’s for use off-road, and probably won’t have a choice. For now, rigs hitting obstacles while bouncing off the rev limiter is priceless and no EV can make it any less cool.

Agreed. Watch Ken Block's Vegas Electikhana video, then Pastrana's Gymkhana 2022 video. Tell me which one is more appealing to your senses.