Emissions Testing Questions

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Quick question for you guys.

I bought this Volvo and have been trying to get it back together. but everything I touch breaks.:rolleyes: All the rubber and plastic parts are past it. I've replaced most of it.

I want to ditch the PVC system and run a catch can instead. The system is not connected to the computer in anyway. I know i can hide the catch can and make it look factory(ish). What do they do when they do the emissions tests? Everything else will be stock functional. The stock system is plugged and costs more then i paid for this car. Its causing oil to get blown all over the engine.

Troop92

Emissions tests are basically hooking up a computer/sensor to your on-board systems and tailpipe. They check idling emissions as well as high rpm emissions, and monitor if your vehicle's sensors are doing what they should. If you're wondering if they look under the hood, I don't believe they do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that -

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
you can't see the PCV system at all. Its all under covers and the intake manifold piping.

its similar to this without a cone filter.

2860.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have never had a visual inspection, unless they were working to get my vehicle to pass. Most Shops I have gone to try to get you out as soon as possible because they aren't making their $85 an hour on an em/in.

Troop92

And if you're taking it to a JiffyLube the 18-ry old emissions inspector isn't going to know what the PVC system looks like on an old old Volvo anyway! :D

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If it's not easily visible, you might be able to sneak it past them. You'll have to route the blow-by somewhere so they won't smell it though, which my be a little tricky.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just fix it? A vacuum line, a check valve, and a breather line should be fairly easy to rig up without going with the expensive Volvo parts?

D

Deleted member 12904

Yes they are supposed to do a visual inspection. But even if they do, it likely wont be something they catch. What year is the car?