endorsement laws

Cascadia

Undecided
Brandon, under 50cc and your standard license is fine. Whether you can handle 49cc's of Powa is another thing. ;)

Cascadia, hope you fought it.
I tried. It was on BYU campus. They tried saying something about it being a rule on campus. It was probably 8 years ago too so maybe it was different then.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I'm not reading that the same. It only mentions the 50cc limit for mopeds. Top right corner of page two states "A driver’s license and a restricted
motorcycle endorsement are required to ride a smaller motorcycle and a motor scooter.
"

I think you need a motorcycle endorsement for any street legal motorcycle.

Jared

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm not reading that the same. It only mentions the 50cc limit for mopeds. Top right corner of page two states "A driver’s license and a restricted
motorcycle endorsement are required to ride a smaller motorcycle and a motor scooter.
"

I think you need a motorcycle endorsement for any street legal motorcycle.

Jared

X2 this has always been my understanding also. Unless its under 50cc and has pedals you need an endorsement.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jentzschman

You don't need an endorsement for OHV bikes do you?

What about insurance for OHV bikes? I never thought it was needed as long as it was registered as OHV

Caleb

Jared is right, the division is 0-90cc, 91-249cc, 250-649cc, and 650cc+. That's all based on what you test on. So if you test on a 49cc scooter, you will be licensed to drive a 0-90cc two-wheeled machine on the streets. There's no gimme's if it's less than a certain number of cc's.

Caleb

You don't need an endorsement for OHV bikes do you?

What about insurance for OHV bikes? I never thought it was needed as long as it was registered as OHV

As long as you only ride where OHVs are legal then you don't need any kind of endorsement. Insurance is "optional". Personally, for the very minimal cost of insurance, I would never ever consider risking not having it. What if you seriously injured someone else while riding, you got piles of cash laying around to take care of their medical bills? I keep full coverage on my bikes (even though I own them outright), that also includes my trailer and up to $3000 in accessories and gear and it's something like $175 a year through Progressive. If you can't afford an extra $15 (and it's way less for older bikes) a month, I would probably look at another hobby :D

jentzschman

As long as you only ride where OHVs are legal then you don't need any kind of endorsement. Insurance is "optional". Personally, for the very minimal cost of insurance, I would never ever consider risking not having it. What if you seriously injured someone else while riding, you got piles of cash laying around to take care of their medical bills? I keep full coverage on my bikes (even though I own them outright), that also includes my trailer and up to $3000 in accessories and gear and it's something like $175 a year through Progressive. If you can't afford an extra $15 (and it's way less for older bikes) a month, I would probably look at another hobby :D

Good advice, thanks Caleb!

Cascadia

Undecided
I recently priced out insurance for my new bike and for liability only it was 10$ a year. Worth it. But I'll get full coverage. Especially for a brand new bike. I don't think I'll ever wreck it enough to use insurance but it could be easily stolen.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Full coverage on my fourwheeler and bikes for a couple hundred a year from progressive.. I've used the insurance so much it would take years upon years for them to come out even.. Best money you can spend. FYI It cost $2600 to have a frame replaced on a king quad 700... Progressive covered every cent...