Ethernet cables

Tonkaman

My wife is setting up her new work station in our house now that’s she can work from home. She is required to have a direct connection to the router via a network cable. In order to make that work I’ll need to run about 50’ of cable across the house to her desk.

Do I need a cat 5 or cat 6 cable? What’s the difference?

Why is there such a huge price window on these cables? I see some for $10 and others for $75 so what does paying more get me?

Looks like Home Depot or Best Buy are my best choices to get them by Monday. Anywhere else I should look?
Thanks

J-mobzz

Universal systems is the place for any cables hdmi, category, usb or whatever. They have a wide range and monoprice prices

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I can make you whatever you need. I have cat5e and some cat6 cable laying around the house. I use to do structured cabling in houses and business.
the difference between 5 and 6 is that 6 is a thicker cable and has the turns tighter wound. This allows more bandwidth. if your internet is 1GBps or better cat6 would be the better option but if its less then that cat5e will work perfect.

I start vacation saturday and would be glad to come help you out.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
by the way... coleman cable in south salt lake is the place to get cable.... most places get it from them and then resale it.

Tonkaman

Thanks for all the responses guys!

So nobody really mentioned to stay away from cheap cables. Am I fine buying a 100’ cable from Home Depot for $15?? That’s so cheap it’s not even worth driving to slc right?

@gijohn40 I really appreciate the offer to make a cableIm out in West Jordan so it is probably easier both of us if I just buy a cheapo cable.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Thanks for all the responses guys!

So nobody really mentioned to stay away from cheap cables. Am I fine buying a 100’ cable from Home Depot for $15?? That’s so cheap it’s not even worth driving to slc right?

@gijohn40 I really appreciate the offer to make a cableIm out in West Jordan so it is probably easier both of us if I just buy a cheapo cable.
works like a champ at gigabit speeds

Tonkaman

Thank you, You guys rock!

I’m shocked that it’s cheaper to buy them pre-made than it is to buy the parts. You can see why I was so hesitant at first.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Thank you, You guys rock!

I’m shocked that it’s cheaper to buy them pre-made than it is to buy the parts. You can see why I was so hesitant at first.

I buy everything pre-made. I bet I only make a few cables per year. You can get pre-made in 6", 1', 18", 2' etc lengths. Whatever color you want for a few bucks per. If I'm paying one of my people for that, they might crank out 5-10 cables per hour. Kind of not worth not just buying what you'll use.