Exhibition of speed?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So on my way to work this morning I was at the front of a red light in my camaro. Light turns green and I accelerate fast. I don't break the tires loose or do a burn out but acceleration hard but kept it under the speed limit. A cop that was behind me 20 car lengths pulled me over. Gave me a warning but I felt he was stretching at the reason. I felt profiled for the car I was in. Thoughts, opinions?

D

Deleted member 12904

I think it sounds like it was probably a legal traffic stop.. like it or not hot rodding your car will get you pulled over burnouts or not.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Get used to it.... X-D

I had a '71 SS Camaro with a 400 HP SBC.... I got pulled over often. My car was loud and it was my DD for a couple years, it got plenty of attention from the police regardless of racing or not.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Once i got rid of my super duty on 37s 8 years ago i havent been pulled over ever. 20 lengths? You should have been going faster. Time to grow out the mullet so you fit the profile better

kmboren

Ok. Sounds like I need to be more careful and get use to it. I have the support fallen officers plate. Wonder if that had anything to do with the warning. Either way I'll take warnings all day. Thought for sure I had a ticket coming my way. He was in his car a while. Are these really mullet mobiles.

Tonkaman

I’ve had that ticket many times. It will only hold up in court if you actually broke traction or maneuvered a lane change/ corner too swiftly.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Here is the state code: 41-6a-606.

The definitions of speed contest or exhibition of speed are vague which gives latitude on what would apply. I think accelerating hard from a stop *could* apply though as a demonstration of speed. Notice though on the bottom of that link the penalties. For the first offense you lose your license for 60 days, that is the biggest place it'd hurt you. The fine is $500 plus 35% surcharge ($175) and then potentially additional city court fees (up to about $50.) So you're looking at at least $675 and 6 months without a drivers license for a penalty.

It will get reported to the drivers license division and that will hit on your insurance which will drive your regular vehicle insurance rates up as well. (The code I linked was updated or listed effective May 2017 and the bail schedule was as of April 2017 so they are both current.)

I'm guessing your attitude while talking to him, the fact you had your papers together, and perhaps that you didn't go above the speed limit all were taken into account when he was deciding on whether to give a citation. I wouldn't assume you'll be so lucky next time.

kmboren

Definitely don't want to get a ticket or license revoked. Just need to be more careful. Obviously a loud car thats lowered and looks fast will get attention. It was a wake up call. I just always thought if you were drifting it or doing burn outs ect then that deserved a ticket. Didn't realize hard acceleration would warrant it.