Experience w/ Link Suspensions ???

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not that this is going to happen real soon, it's more like a idea at this point, but.......Anyone have experience playing with 3 or 4 link suspensions? I am thinking about putting coils in the back of my Toyota p/u and want to gather opinions. After lots of reading about Anti Squat, Roll Axis, GC, Parallel Links and all that........my head HURTS! I was thinking about a 4 Link with a Track Bar, just of of simplicity. Is there something better??

What does it take to PLANT the rear tires.......... during a climb w/ lots of gearing and traction?

Mabey I should just ask the meaning of LIFE!??!

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that in some 4 and 3 link setups you don't need a track bar.

I think you'd be fine with a simple 3link setup in the rear. If you want to plant the tires and get traction trow some sand bags in the bed :D..................maybe run some airbags with the suspension so you can force a tire down if you need to?

Greg

Admin
I don't think there's such thing as a 'Simple' 3 Link! No matter what is done, its going to take alot of thought to get it to work correctly.

Your right though, with a Triangulated 4 link or 3 link you don't need a Track Bar. My thought was that it would be the easiest to run one and a standard 4 link. As I have been doing more looking into it, a Triangulated 4 Link seems like the way to go. I just have to figure out how to make it work under a Toyota.....

Greg

Admin
Thats COOL! I saw that writeup quite awhile ago and thought it was a great idea, but I wasn't thinking of applying it to my own rig. That Link design looks great, no rear-steer, no Track bar, and plenty of flex is possiable. I have been looking under my truck to see how I could make it work.....it would be hard..........but whats not?? I think that's the ticket. Thanks for the link Spence! ;)

Now which coils do I run???? :rolleyes:

Parker

Originally posted by Greg
Thats COOL! I saw that writeup quite awhile ago and thought it was a great idea, but I wasn't thinking of applying it to my own rig. That Link design looks great, no rear-steer, no Track bar, and plenty of flex is possiable. I have been looking under my truck to see how I could make it work.....it would be hard..........but whats not?? I think that's the ticket. Thanks for the link Spence! ;)

Now which coils do I run???? :rolleyes:

Which coils???? The Bilstein "coilover" kind. :D (hehe)

If you get serious about this swing by the shop and I'll help you "mock/map" everything up and help you decide on links and heims.

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Parker

If you get serious about this swing by the shop and I'll help you "mock/map" everything up and help you decide on links and heims.

Coilovers? I wish.......I'm not rich like you, Parker! :p I picked up some stock height Grand Cherokee coils, but I'm not sure of their spring rates. I have been also thinking of the ever-popular Ford Aerostar coils, but I am kinda concerned about their load carrying capacity. My goal for my truck is to keep is a Daily Driver, so it can't be too loose on the road.

I'll post a pic from the SRC site, so you can see the idea........the plan is for 2 identical links, facing opposite ends.

alink_top.jpg

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by Parker

Yeah, come down and check it out mine is the next guinnea pig for the link set up. Maybe it will answer some of your questions.

Greg

Admin
Andy- When's your rig going under the knife? I might just have to come up and check it out.

Parker- I may have to take you up on some advice about building the links and such. I know I'll need all the help I can get......but it will be awhile before I start this project. :(

Caleb

I have been thinking(In my head only) about doing that exact type setup(project slinky) on my heep when I go coilover...I have heard a lot of talk about project slinky but never checked it out...

I have heard that if you try and keep the links parallel you should be good...but I have no experience yet with this stuff so what do I know:D:D:D

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by supergper
I have heard that if you try and keep the links parallel you should be good...but I have no experience yet with this stuff so what do I know:D:D:D

After all the reading I've done, thats what it amounts to. Keep them parallel and as horizontal as possible, and your good to go.

Parker

Parker- I may have to take you up on some advice about building the links and such. I know I'll need all the help I can get......but it will be awhile before I start this project. :(

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it already. If you get time, swing by some time. We have a board that you can actually mock up angles (pinion, axle, links, d-line) and cycle it to see what's actually happening w/ your design. Just give me a heads up when your ready.

Hey, I never got to ask you... how was your Moab trip? I was suprised I didn't see yuh? Where were you hidin' out at?

Greg

Admin
That would be killer......see how a suspension idea would work before messing with the rig! I'm up for that!

My Moab trip got screwed by a Job Interview. I applyed for a job and they called back and wanted a interview during the middle of my planned trip. Since Full Time jobs are becoming rare (So has $$$), I took the Interview, rather than a trip to EJS. I ended up NOT getting that job, to make matters worse. :mad: I should have just told them to wait a week. Things aren't too bad, atleast I got my old FT job back. :rolleyes:

So, what about you? Did you break anything major while you were there?

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Andy- When's your rig going under the knife? I might just have to come up and check it out.

It's been a while since that post but I think I may start soon, I will keep you posted so you can come check it out.