Expo/overland rig $15k budget

J-mobzz

@Hickey talk of doing the Idaho backcountry discovery route at some point next year has me realizing I want more trail capable vehicle again.

I’d love to hear some of your thoughts on what you would do with a $15,000 budget

I need it to be reliable so part of that budget would be going through an older vehicle, making sure everything is up on current maintenance and probably picking up some spares like alternator fuel pump and things like that to keep with me.

I want it to be fairly capable off road. I don’t need it to be a rock crawler. My thoughts are 33s with a rear locker would take me to places I would want to go

When I first thought about picking something up, I thought OK 10 grand should get me something. I don’t need anything to daily Drive. Just something I can take on some more aggressive off road trails, But after looking into it. It seem like even at 15 grand I’m not going to find much that doesn’t have 300k miles in my in my price range if I leave room for things like wheels, tires, lift, gears and locker. And the budget to build some bumpers and rocker protection.

Am I up in the night thinking this is doable for $15 grand? It’s not so much setting a higher budget as I don’t think that even at 15 grand I would get the use out of it to justify the money it’s more just something I want so that’s kind of my top of what I’m thinking.

Reactions: DAA

J-mobzz

Well size is a big issue with the van, especially height. I definitely find myself getting into more places that I feel less comfortable with the van height, wise dealing with trees and stuff.
And then my second concern with the van is the front differential isn’t the same as say a Silverado it’s actually on par with like a S10.
So the front differential and axle shafts can be a weak point on those when running the larger tires.

And then honestly I use that van so much. I really don’t want to beat it up taking it down heavier trails. I would be really bummed if something major happened to it because of off-road abuse. We take it skiing weekly camping constantly and it does amazing in the snow mud dirt roads, but it really isn’t as off-road capable as I want a vehicle to be for something like doing that back country discovery route.

Last edited:

J-mobzz

Delete all of the low hanging plastics and add beefy tires, maybe a rear locker. Pleasure Craft.
That bad boy you listed is 2 wheel Drive but I didn’t look at the Sequoia as I guess I didn’t really think of them as being off-road capable. I’ll have to check them out and see what kind of budget they come in for a decent 4 x 4.

Also see what kind of aftermarket support is available for suspension and stuff.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That bad boy you listed is 2 wheel Drive but I didn’t look at the Sequoia as I guess I didn’t really think of them as being off-road capable. I’ll have to check them out and see what kind of budget they come in for a decent 4 x 4.

Also see what kind of aftermarket support is available for suspension and stuff.
Gross. How dare they make a 2WD Toyota!

J-mobzz

I am actually digging the idea of a sequoia from what I’m researching so far. It looks like 35s are pretty easy to fit and 37’s would be really doable with some good firewall tubbing. That along with the extra space inside for a sleep platform fridge, etc.. they’re considerably cheaper than a 4runner, but come with a V-8.

And I think a sequoia on 35 or 37’s with some bumpers and sliders would be more than adequate off-road for the trails I’m looking to do.

Pike2350

I'd probably go with a 3rd or 4th gen 4Runner. If you aren't in a rush you can find them for a good deal. If can even get the V8 in the 03-07 years.

Something like this.

If V8 doesn't matter something like this for a good start

Or a 3rd gen with some upgrades already

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Our '03 4Runner with the 4.7 was a great adventure vehicle, super reliable, very comfortable and quite capable... it took us on many adventures!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Our '03 4Runner with the 4.7 was a great adventure vehicle, super reliable, very comfortable and quite capable... it took us on many adventures!

I was told those don’t exist. 😂😂

I had a former friend argue vehemently with me over that. He said I shouldn’t question a “Toyota guy”, since I’m just a “Jeep guy”. I even brought up Fred William’s “Pond Scum” as proof, and he had no idea who I was talking about.

J-mobzz

I do have a friend that wants to buy my Tahoe (it’s not really for sale but I don’t drive it or need it) and has an 08 4Runner they want to work into the deal. So that’s an option I guess. It’s 250k+ miles and needs some work but could make a decent rig with about $5k invested.

4Runner or Tacoma were my first thought. I just don’t feel they are worth the price tag currently.

I think I’m going to look into the sequoia more. They don’t seem to have the normal Toyota tax.