FINALLY!

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm going to start working on my shop this week! I've been into our new house for around 2 months now, and the deal was that I take half of the 2-car garage and build my wife a nice laundry room/pantry/mud room, and remodel the kitchen, and after I'm finished, I can start organizing and using the shop. Well I'm putting the finishing touches on the remodel stuff so I'll be starting in on the shop this week! Right now it's a junk pile, but I'll hopefully be able to get it usable within a couple weeks. I'm picking up a full kitchen's worth of cabinets this week to use, too. here are the before pics:

Attachments

• IMAG1959.jpg
    IMAG1959.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG1957.jpg
    IMAG1957.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG1956.jpg
    IMAG1956.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 50

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have some pretty sweet plans for it! Since i don't have a rig right now, this will be my "shop build thread."

the good:
the shop is 30x50 and the loft is about 20x30
16' wide, 12' tall door
extra tall ceilings with tons of lighting
fully finished inside
Insulated, heated
bathroom w/ hot and cold water
220v
epoxy floors
PO poured extra thick footing on one half to hold car lift

the bad:
no air conditioning
The loft is about 2" shy of being tall enough for me to fully stand up in.
I think that's it.

the plans:
build stairs up to loft instead of flimsy pull down stairs
cupboards along back wall w/ counter top and large beefy shelving above cupboards
frame in below loft and make man cave/ food storage/ guest house w/ wood burning stove, solar powered lighting, etc. (bug-out room)
storage on one half of loft
possibly (hopefully) frame in other half of loft and make bean bag theater room??

I'll try and keep this updated along the way!

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Very nice, that should give you a ton of room to grow. I'd personally build shelves on 3 sides of that loft, like floor to ceiling, 2' deep shelves that can hold some serious stuff.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Shelving... lots of shelving! I have 4 shelving racks and it's just right for me.

Looks like the floor is already coated, so you're good there.

I have a stereo in my shop... love it.

A work bench for smaller projects.

smartass_kid

I second shelving, maybe look into some industrial floor to ceiling rack system with 1000+ lbs rating. you may never exceed it but would be good to organize and stack it up. also, could you move that heating unit to over open area? if you plan to use loft for storage you might just end up heating items in storage. looks like all it needs is new chains hung from ceiling studs(?) and vent hose to opening already there.

oh, and very jealous.

Caleb

If you plan to do any kind of living in that loft (bean bag theatre room) you better figure out the AC problem :) It will likely be too hot during the summer up there without it.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Narrow Interlake racking would be great up on the loft. I've got 24" stuff in my garage along with 48" pallet racking. There's a guy up in Layton that sells it for a great price. He's on KSL. It's all used, of course. The benefit of industrial stuff is that it's simple to use, change, heavy duty, and easy to sell later on.

I definitely plan on lots of shelving! i usually build mine w/ 2x4's and lots of bracing, but I'll take a look at these guys to see what they've got!

pELYgroso

'Merica
life is just so unfair sometimes! :rolleyes:

Is this a toys holding shop or holster making shop? Both?
This is a Toy shop. I thought about bringing the holster operation here but I can afford the payment w/out getting rent from StealthGear, so I'd rather have it off-site. I get a lot more work done when I'm not working 20 ft. from my house. My wife is a stay-at-home mom. 'nuff said. :) We were looking at another place with 2 big shops that was a little out of our price range, so we would have had to bring StealthGear in to make it work, but I'm glad it worked out the way that it did! I'm itching to build another rig. I never should have sold my white 4runner that I built up from stock. Did anybody see the FJ60 in the recent 4wheeler magazine? That had me seriously thinking about looking for an old FJ. Plus, I'm dying to do the relic run!

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
If you plan to do any kind of living in that loft (bean bag theatre room) you better figure out the AC problem :) It will likely be too hot during the summer up there without it.

Ya, I thought about that. I'm thinking a beefy swamp cooler for the shop (I take them off of roofs all summer long) and doing a window mount a/c unit for the theater room.

I also have thought of moving the heater. Or maybe leaving it and doing a quick duct to shoot the heat straight into the open area.