First time home buying advice

ozzy702

Looking to buy a home in sandy. Budget is pretty low, 180-250k, but we would be more comfortable under 220k. Would love a mother in law basement for my sister in law to live in.

Anyone have a competent, honest realtor they could refer? They MUST be very good at short sales since that's all there is in the area we're looking.

Also looking for a solid mortgage broker that isn't going to try and tack on a ton of junk fees and points/ysp on the back end.

Any other advice or recommendations are much appreciated.

sixstringsteve

Only advice I can offer is don't spend more than you have to. I wish I had bought less house. I love my neighborhood though, I just wish I had bought a simpler home.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My Aunt is a realtor, been doing it a long time, and is not afraid of pushing buttons to make things go right for her buyers.
Joyce Walker 801-five nine 8- 1 zero zero 8
She also lives in Sandy

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I agree with steve I wish I would have spent less on a house and more on land, But at the same time dont settle for something you dont absolutely love I love my House but I never set foot in the basement I have half of my total square footage that doesnt even get used.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Only advice I can offer is don't spend more than you have to. I wish I had bought less house. I love my neighborhood though, I just wish I had bought a simpler home.

Same advice here... try to find out exactly what you want out of a home long term (dont get fooled by houses that look great, they might be too much house for your liking later or maybe your focal point on the house characteristics are not quite what you expected in certain areas).

Get pre-approved so you can pull the trigger on a house when the right one shows up. and If your pre-approved for a certain "max ammount" try to never go that high, set a max price limit and search only up to that range.

Also be aware that in some sub-divisions you have HOA (home owner's associations) they may or may not allow such things as: Exterior house remodleing, large based yard modifications, privacy fences, certain breads of dogs, no storing of OFFROAD TRUCKS in plain view, NO trailers stored in plain view..... yada yada yada...

Make sure you take into account travel times to and from frequented places... and maybe even go drive them during peak times if your super interested in particular house.

try to stay away form using a good personal friend for a realitor, its buisness service you want from them and they would like their cut of mula as well in the end... no sense ruining a personal relationship if it doesn't work out to yours or their expectatons.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I also have a Mother in law basement...I used to rent it out for about $800 Month.. But now my MIL actually lives in it... My advise about having family live with you is similar to the drug campaign. Just say "No"

My old man once said "Family are like fish, If you keep them around to long they start to stink"

I would not have changed the way I have done things, because there has been much benefit and progress with my wifes' family, but there is a lot of issues that come from family in the house.- We are even completely separate, as I have blocked the stairs, and have separate entrances.

sixstringsteve

I don't have a HOA, but I do have CC&Rs and they're almost as bad. Some of the rules in my neighborhood:

- no parking on the street overnight (period. Not just in winter)
- no leaving your garage door open (even if you're in it)
- you must have at least one tree within 5 feet of the sidewalk in front
- and countless other regulations

I've been able to handle mine, but if I were to do it again, I'd get more land, more garage, and way less house. But there was no way I could learn that lesson until I lived in the neighborhood I live in.

Another two pieces of advice:
1) buy your morgtage rate down if you can
2) make at least one extra house payment each year. It'll make a big difference after 30 years.

ozzy702

Great advice guys. We plan on staying away from HOAs and are only considering buying more home than we currently need because home prices are "low" and interest rates are insanely low. We plan on staying in the home long term and as I mentioned before, we're open to turning he basement into a rental.

My biggest worry is the incredible amount of competition in the market right now. Every home on the market has ten to twenty offers on it. I know realtors have access to homes I can't see so I guess I need to find a solid agent ASAP.

Hoping that financing is easy. I have a 772 credit score, only 5k left on student loans and no other debt and will be putting down at least 20k. The down side is that we are only using my income (for multiple reasons) and I only make a hair over 45k a year right now.

ozzy702

I don't have a HOA, but I do have CC&Rs and they're almost as bad. Some of the rules in my neighborhood:

- no parking on the street overnight (period. Not just in winter)
- no leaving your garage door open (even if you're in it)
- you must have at least one tree within 5 feet of the sidewalk in front
- and countless other regulations

I've been able to handle mine, but if I were to do it again, I'd get more land, more garage, and way less house. But there was no way I could learn that lesson until I lived in the neighborhood I live in.

Another two pieces of advice:
1) buy your morgtage rate down if you can
2) make at least one extra house payment each year. It'll make a big difference after 30 years.

Cc&r's , while not nearly as bad as HOA guidelines can be a pain. I haven't looked into those yet but I really need to.

We plan on putting a steady $500 or more down on principle monthly, at least until pmi is dropped. I would love to go 15 year mortgage but my wife's job isn't something I want to count on and the 30 year gives us more flexibility.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I think you will have a hard time getting approved for 180k loan on 45k a year. If guys really want to spend that much I think you will have to use her income to get approved

ozzy702

I think you will have a hard time getting approved for 180k loan on 45k a year. If guys really want to spend that much I think you will have to use her income to get approved

That's what I'm concerned about. I may have my dad co-sign for us which should solve that issue. We're fairly frugal so I'm really not worried about being able to cover the mortgage on only my income. We live off of less than $1800 a month. Worst case scenario is paying $1300 a month after taxes, insurance and pmi and that's with a 250k mortgage. yes we want to be more in the 220 or lower range but the quality home and neighborhood you get from jumping up to 250 from 180 is fairly sizable which is why we are considering it.

I have a very stable job and will e receiving roughly a 20% pay raise over the next three years and that's if I don't move to a better paying position. Only making 47k a year is killing me but I enjoy my job which is a huge improvement over several better paying jobs I've held in the past. Between the wife and I we make about 70k a year.

ID Bronco

My advice is do what it takes to not pay mortgage insurance. I think its a waste of money.

I would also tell everyone to make sure they are not house poor. Nice homes are great until you have to stay home in it all the time because you cannot afford to do anything else.

That said, my wife always complains about our house. I like it because we could not afford anywhere near the size with another one at the current payment. I also endorse 15 yr options.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Finding the right Realtor is like dating. you need to find one you get along with and dont mind spending hours and hours with looking at houses.

Our realtor was very patient and had 25 years of experience in Utah. He knew which neighborhoods suited us and which didn't. That kind of knowledge comes from time only.

We felt we were treated with respect and he was always punctual. Most realtors tend give favoritism to clients with larger budgets: it's a fact that they make bigger commissions on them.

Don't sign a contract with a realtor until you have properly interviewed and seen if your personalities and understanding of your needs mesh.

Our guy was Chuck Neve. 801-680-2898 Coldwell Banker.

It took us 8 months of looking to find our place and never once did we feel rushed. Good luck.

If you call him tell him you know me and he'll talk your ear off.
Either way I'm certain he will treat you with the same respect and patience he did with us.

MattL

Save your money everywhere you can.
Don't overbuy.
If you cant afford it don't kid yourself.
Pay a 15 year or 10 year loan.
Buy a HUD home and work to make it work for you.
Yes a nice neighborhood is great but things change, and can rapidly with neighborhood or even job wise.
Be smart with the money cause you can only use it once.
There are lots of deals out there.
Don't get emotional about a purchase, be smart about it.
Use your math skills.
I personally would never buy 250k house with only 45k income with potentially bonuses coming.
That to me is a recipe for disaster and heartache.
Don't get co-signers that is also a recipe for disaster.
Have a listen to Dave Ramsey.. take some of his pointers and follow them.
Be smart

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
with economic times the way they are I like knowing if the only income I had coming in was an unemployment check I could still make all my bills including my mortage payment.

at 45k a year your weekly pay is around 650 take home, payment on 220k even with 20k down is 1400/ month thats half your income out the window before you buy food, Gas and other neccessities I think you need to scale back your housing wants.

MattL

Also, if you have 20k to put down, id probably consider keeping some of that as a rainy day fund.

ozzy702

All good advice. The reality is that 180k is about the least we can spend without a hideous drive (factor in rising gas prices and wear and tear on cars, let alone wasting time in a car each day) and 180k doesn't net you much home. Yes, I currently only pull in 47k a year (take home is ~$3200 a month) and will be making about 10k a year more in four years (not bonuses, set in stone pay increases) if I stay at this job, which isn't much but on the up side it's 100% stable. In addition to my income, my wife makes about 26k a year and will for at least five years but after that I have no guarantee of income from her (she may go back to school or start a business).

We're trying to stay in the 200-225k range with 20k down (saved in the past eight months) but have left room if we find a killer deal on a home that not only represents a good home but a solid investment. PITI on a 200k 30 year loan with less than 20% down is ~ $1250 a month when all is said and done, then after PMI drops off (should easily be able to make enough extra payments for it to drop in 3-5 years) it'll drop another $100 a month. $1150 a month is doable even on my current income and is barely more than renting an apt so I'm really not overly worried about the cost (especially if we end up renting out the basement).

The only options for cheaper housing are buying way on the west side, in Lehi or Riverton, all of which add a significant amount of gas expense and wear and tear on the vehicles that offset the cost of a less expensive home by roughly $150-$200 a month which is the equivalent of 35-50k on a 30 year. The other thing I've considered is both my wife and I are looking at going back to school some time in the next 10 years (as soon as next year for me) which means the closer I can be to a College the better.

I'm doing my best to look at not only the big picture but the long term ramifications of buying a home. With changes in lending, Congress pushing forth new legislation, interest rates most likely shooting back up and home prices set to slowly tick up starting in 2013, I want to pick up a home by the end of the year if at all possible before I'm priced out of the market.

A 15 year loan would be nice but put undue stress on us financially. A 30 year gives us more flexibility and we still retain the ability to make extra payments to principle, which we plan to weigh heavily on the front end while the wife is working. Not to mention at 3.6% interest is barely above the rate of inflation.

Ok, so now that I've justified (well, at least to myself) spending up to 225k (which is honestly all I'm comfortable with)... any advice on inspections, appraisals, CC&Rs, lending, good resources for home improvement basics (I'd be doing any work that needs to be done myself but I'm a novice), real estate agents etc?

I really appreciate all the advice so far, even if I have sounded stubborn about spending more than I would like to, hopefully my thinking is somewhat sound.

ozzy702

Also, if you have 20k to put down, id probably consider keeping some of that as a rainy day fund.

We plan on putting about $500 a month down on principle at least until PMI is dropped which leaves us with at least $1500 a month going into savings to build that rainy day fund back up. I would like to put back more but right now that's as good as we can do until my school loans are 100% payed off.