Fixing a 12v fridge...Edgestar

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have an Edgestar that I picked up several years ago. It's been a good little unit for the most part, but it now doesn't want to hold temperature. I have it plugged into the wall, and it won't really kick on. Every once in awhile it will, but it only runs for maybe 10 seconds then shuts down.

I feel like it blows cold air for those ten seconds (if I let it sit long enough it will get down to like 41 degrees), but it just doesn't seem to trigger on.

I took it apart a little and blew it out with compressed air. No difference.

Does anyone know of a place that might have experience working on these things? I don't really have the money to replace it, but I don't want to go back to lugging ice around.

Thanks!

Cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
You find me a once-used ARB for $100 and I'll buy that instead. I tried to rent one from Kurt for the weekend, but SOMEONE out bid me for its services.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You find me a once-used ARB for $100 and I'll buy that instead. I tried to rent one from Kurt for the weekend, but SOMEONE out bid me for its services.

Really? Busy weekend I suppose. There may be an Engle that Candace has been using... your welcome to borrow that if the shop staff hasn't already rented it.

Oh yeah, Edgestar failure... let me get my surprised face out :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
It's all good. I told them if someone wanted it for the week not to hold it for me. It is easter week after all.

I'll just pack a cooler... It's not too hot out. Obviously the arb and Engel units are better, but mine was cheap. Even new, they are half the price...

Maybe one day I'll be able to swing a more expensive fridge. Or I'll buy one of Kurt's rental fleet after he fully depreciates them and replaces them with new units to write off ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ha ha, Ya he told me. Like I said, all is well. Not that big of a deal....but if I can find a way to fix my fridge for not super expensive, I'd be down for that.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
BTW, big props to the fine folks at Cruiseroutfitters for renting me out one of their personal fridges so that I wouldn't have to spend a few days in the desert suffering through the torture of coolers and ice like the proletarian masses. Definitely much appreciated.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm not sure I'm capable of any diagnostics. I'd destroy something, and potentially myself in the process ;)

Stephen, I need to get this thing back to you guys....but I keep working later than you guys do. I'm sure the juice is running ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Yes. It can be whatever percent you want so long as the other factor is zero.

I'm going to talk to Kurtrude about this rent to own situation once he returns.