FJ40 Mechanic

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
As some may know I bought a 1974 FJ40 a few years ago, all stock, all original. I have been tinkering with this 40 off and on since and I just can not get it to run just right. I hate to say it, but I'm ready to let someone else step in and fix or advise me.

Looking for a good cruiser mechanic.

Stock F motor
Rebuilt the card and added breaker less points 28k original miles

Let me know if any of you know of a shop.

Thanks,

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Out of curiosity, what is it doing when you try to get it running? Coughing, spit and sputter? The carb can be a HUGE P I T A! Most everything else should be easy to detect, they are a simple enough motor.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Forgot to ask, is it a later '74? Could be what is considered a f1.5 I don't know if it would make much of a difference, IIRC the is a displacement difference, there could be a timing different as well, but I will defer to Kurt for obvious reasons ;)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
It was actually built in late 73, so early 74. Doesn't have the power, spits a bit on acceleration, timing is 20 above the bee, bee, don't like that. I dive to Snowbird each day and today it didm't like the altitude. I just need it dialed in, I'm sure it is something simple. Kurt has given me some names, just wondering if anyone was on the board.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Sorry, I don't have any people, I haven't had to deal with an old carb for years.
Best of luck! I'm sure someone will be in the know.