Flywheel weight users

jentzschman

Who has used one and what are your comments about them?

I am wanting to get one as I plan on riding AFC alot and hear they really help with low rmp riding as well as smoothing out the power.

It will be going on a yz250 and I can not decide on what weight to get. 9oz, 11oz, or 13oz

I would like enough to make a difference but not over kill, if that is possible. I hear the 13oz can be almost too much weight.... I am kind of leaning toward the 11oz weight. Not sure how much a difference 2 oz will make.

Anyway, any feedback would be great. Thanks.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
You have mad more mods/adjustments on your bike in the few weeks you have owned it then I have in the 11 years I have owned mine..:rofl:

jentzschman

You have mad more mods/adjustments on your bike in the few weeks you have owned it then I have in the 11 years I have owned mine..:rofl:

I have not added that much: new front/rear sprockets w/chain, new top end, radiator guards, new 8mm bolts all around ( mostly holding plastics on), air filter... that's about it... Most of this is regular maintenance stuff. What can I say, I created my own monster within me... I also blame Steve and the others on here with all the moto talk about a month ago. That certainly did not help ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I like a lot of fww so I'd go with 13oz if it was my bike. That said your needs may be different I'd give Steahly a call and see what they recommend. As far as my comments they are one of the very first things I'd add to a moto-bred bike crossing over to trial duty.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I like a lot of fww so I'd go with 13oz if it was my bike. That said your needs may be different I'd give Steahly a call and see what they recommend. As far as my comments they are one of the very first things I'd add to a moto-bred bike crossing over to trial duty.

I would agree with Andrew, 13oz if your planning on riding trails... Especially a YZ or a KX.. On a CR I think you could go 11 and be happy but every YZ I've rode would benifit from all the flywheel weight you could throw at it for trail use.

jentzschman

Im trying to find the article that Dubach racing has explaining different weights. It was very educational

Great. I would love to read it if/when you are able to find it.

From the research I have been doing, that as well seems to be what others are drawn too as well.

I would agree with Andrew, 13oz if your planning on riding trails... Especially a YZ or a KX.. On a CR I think you could go 11 and be happy but every YZ I've rode would benefit from all the flywheel weight you could throw at it for trail use.

Thank you for your input. With the fww at just over 100 bucks, its one item I would like to buy once rather then multiple times to find out what works for me.

I just worry about taking too much snap away. This is why I am digging around as much as I can and doing as much research as I can.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Very interesting

13 oz for me for sure. My cr still had plenty of snap and I due rode the crap out of it. But I love the tecnical trails and in the mud the heavy weight is a life saver. My cr lugged better then a 4 stroke but still rode like a 2.. If your at all iffy then go with an 11... It will be a ton better then stock for sure.

I sure wish I could get a 2 stroke again, my cr was awesome in the mtns.

Caleb

A bit more money, but throw a Rekluse in, you get the benefit of the fww without the downsides (loosing the snap you like) unless you want to then you can tune it to smooth that out as well.

jentzschman

A bit more money, but throw a Rekluse in, you get the benefit of the fww without the downsides (loosing the snap you like) unless you want to then you can tune it to smooth that out as well.

Indeed. Down the rode perhaps. Right now, I think, and hope, a fww will do the trick.

jentzschman

Another thing I have read is if the weight is too much, then it can be machined down to say 11oz or 9oz. I think I am going to get the 13oz for now and see how it goes. Being new to fww, I am trying to find a perfect match so I do not have to go back and forth. But, I am learning that this is just part of the process.

sixstringsteve

Who has used one and what are your comments about them?

I'm still a novice/intermediate rider, but I've had a bit of experience with FWWs. I put one on my KX100. It was a high-strung bike that had to be ridden in the powerband. It had almost no low-end. It really only had power when it was in the powerband. I wanted more low-end torque, so I called Steahley and talked to him. He recommended an 8oz since the little 100 couldn't turn a heavier FWW very well. He gave me recommendations for my riding style. He said a 250 would turn a heavy FWW no problem, but a 100 would feel sluggish, especially with a heavy rider like me.

The best way I can explain the difference a FWW makes is to compare a 2t to a 4t in the way it revs up and down. A 2T is much quicker revving. You blip the throttle and it spins up quickly and spins down quickly. Some 4 strokes are super quick revving, but a lot of them take a tiny bit longer to rev than a 2T. A FWW makes the crank heavier, which means it takes a bit longer to get up and moving (still only fractions of a second), and it takes a bit longer to slow down.

Trials bikes have super heavy flywheels. It took 3-5 seconds of full-throttle in neutral to get the flywheel spinning up to max speed. And it took about 5 seconds after letting off the throttle for it to completely wind down to idle speeds.

The FWW on the kx100 was cool. It wasn't so heavy that it was slow-revving like my trials bike. It still revved quite quick. It didn't feel sliggish on the revving. It did, however, tractor on an additional 4-5 feet (on flat) before stalling. The inertia of the spinning heavier flywheel made it keep its momentum even when I wasn't giving it gas. I don't want to say it had more low-end power, it didn't, it just kept spinning longer, and was a bit harder to stall. I really liked it on that bike, and I think it made it easier to ride in the tight woods. Looking back, I wish I would have dropped the front sprocket a tooth before adding a FWW, because I think that would have been even more benefitial than a FWW.

My KDX (current bike) has a flywheel that's heavier than most MX bikes. It still revs plenty quick, but it chugs along at low idle (plus my engine was built for low-end).

I am wanting to get one as I plan on riding AFC alot and hear they really help with low rmp riding as well as smoothing out the power.

Brian and Andrew have proved that AF Canyon is PLENTY doable on a 250 2T with gearing changes. I think a FWW would help, but not as much as regearing. You don't need one, but I think for the price, it's a great investment for that type of riding.

It will be going on a yz250 and I can not decide on what weight to get. 9oz, 11oz, or 13oz

Call Steahley. He is awesome, and really knows his product and makes great recommendations. Not that you would, but be straightforward to help him make the best recommendation for you. If you plan on riding dunes, tell him. If you're a noob, tell him. If you're more interested in quickest lap time over tractability, he'll be able to help you.

I would like enough to make a difference but not over kill, if that is possible. I hear the 13oz can be almost too much weight.... I am kind of leaning toward the 11oz weight. Not sure how much a difference 2 oz will make.

I'll bet if you were blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an 11 oz and 13 oz weight. 2oz is really a small difference. Pros might be able to feel the difference, and they're so in-tune with their bike that they may prefer 2 oz less. If it were me, I'd get a 13 oz. Call steahley and he'll make a good recommendation for you.

jentzschman

Well, ended up getting the 13 oz fww. Took it for a ride at lambert park this afternoon and she seemed to run very well. Still slightly rich as I can see a little residue out the silencer but for now it's ok. I will get it dialed in at some point.

But the bike felt very good and very smooth. I could easily rip the rear tire loose, but down low it was awesome! Really looking forward to the ride tomorrow.

Caleb

Well, ended up getting the 13 oz fww. Took it for a ride at lambert park this afternoon and she seemed to run very well. Still slightly rich as I can see a little residue out the silencer but for now it's ok. I will get it dialed in at some point.

But the bike felt very good and very smooth. I could easily rip the rear tire loose, but down low it was awesome! Really looking forward to the ride tomorrow.

Residue out the silencer doesn't necessarily mean it's running rich. Infact if you are getting enough fuel up there to dribble out, I doubt it would run. Residue (oil) out the silencer usually means your mixed too rich. If you're mixing at 40:1, try going to 45-50:1 instead and see what that does. What's the mfg recommended mix ratio?

jentzschman

Residue out the silencer doesn't necessarily mean it's running rich. Infact if you are getting enough fuel up there to dribble out, I doubt it would run. Residue (oil) out the silencer usually means your mixed too rich. If you're mixing at 40:1, try going to 45-50:1 instead and see what that does. What's the mfg recommended mix ratio?

Mfg is 30:1

Guess I need to keep in mind this is a mx bike so it is designed to be ridden as such. (as least it seems logical)

jentzschman

Did you get the 13oz then? What are your impressions of it so far?

Yep, got the 13oz and so far I love it. At higher rpm's I do not even "feel" the weight although I can tell a difference with the power delivery as it seems smoother, not as snappy. Don't get me wrong, its still snaps, but its a different snap. It pulls rather then bucks. The low rpm's are a world of difference, especially in 1st. I am learning to run 2nd as I approach a hill instead of slowing down to get into first to chug up them. I get in 2nd and then rev it high to get the weight spinning and it works well. I don't have to clutch it as much as long as I can keep the rpm's high enough to keep the weight spinning.