Ford engine to Samurai

crazyzook

For engine to Samurai

I have a 86 Samurai. I have a 2.2 liter turbo charged strong engine out of a 1990 Ford Probe that I would like to install in the Sammy, any ideas on who could help me with a swap kit of some kind, rather than just shooting in the dark??
Thanks all
Crazyzook

shmoesmith

crazyzook said:
I have a 86 Samurai. I have a 2.2 liter turbo charged strong engine out of a 1990 Ford Probe that I would like to install in the Sammy, any ideas on who could help me with a swap kit of some kind, rather than just shooting in the dark??
Thanks all
Crazyzook
isnt the probe a front wheel drive car, therefore completely incompatible with your sammi?

Nah, it could work. You'd just have to do hard mounts and figure out the bellhousing. It'd take some imagination though, that's for sure.
The trannys in those are so small you could probably make an adapter plate, something that would bolt to your motors bellhousing bolt holes and shrink down to the zuks tranny. Then you'd need to figer out the drive, that would be the hard part. For that plate you'd want a big flat piece of steel and a plasma cutter or torch. That's where I'd start. Then I'd see what possiblities you have for the clutch. You might find that the plate won't fit because of the engines flywheel. In that case you'd have to make the plate stand out from the engine, that part wouldn't be hard but I'm sure you'd run into a whole ton of issues later, like how to adapt the clutch. Those sami clutches are like six inches wide.
Also, it might be a good idea to see if that bellhousing bolt pattern on the engine matches any aut trannys, it might be easier to swap in a whole engine and tranny since it's got a divorced T-case anyway.

Last edited:

jp008

The bellhousing answer is....................................................Mazda truck (older model not the Ford built units)

The Probe is built on the MX-6 chassis kinda like the PT cruiser/Neon thing.

crazyzook

jp008 said:
The bellhousing answer is....................................................Mazda truck (older model not the Ford built units)

The Probe is built on the MX-6 chassis kinda like the PT cruiser/Neon thing.

Yes you are all right so far. The engine does set sideways in the Probe, but I didn't see a big problem there. I think where I'll run into problems is mating the Sammy tranny to the engine. It looks like the flywheel clearance would be a problem because of all the other stuff on the top side of the engine. I mean ther is the turbo and a godzillion wires that would be up against the firewall when I turned the engine North and South. I just thought someone would say heck ya I've done that, here is how to do it, but oh we'll. I really hate not using that 2.2 engine it runs like crazy.
Thanks

crazyzook

crazyzook said:
Yes you are all right so far. The engine does set sideways in the Probe, but I didn't see a big problem there. I think where I'll run into problems is mating the Sammy tranny to the engine. It looks like the flywheel clearance would be a problem because of all the other stuff on the top side of the engine. I mean ther is the turbo and a godzillion wires that would be up against the firewall when I turned the engine North and South. I just thought someone would say heck ya I've done that, here is how to do it, but oh we'll. I really hate not using that 2.2 engine it runs like crazy.
Thanks

Will the Mazda truck bellhousing bolt up to the probe and adapt to the Sammy? If so that would make things alot happen alot quicker.
Thanks

jp008

A mazda truck bellhousing will bolt up to the Probe. I would draw out the bellhousing pattern with the measurements and go to a salvage yard that pulls their own parts (ex. South Bountiful Auto on N.Redwood road in N. SL) and ask them. Or see if they will point you in the direction of their trannies. You could use the 4wd version with the t-case married to the trans or use a 2wd trans with the sami's t-case.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
man, i wouldn't mind a 2.2 turbo under my sami's hood..... :redneck:

i wanna do it now.....are those engines hard to find?

crazyzook said:
Thanks

Does this mean you're deciding not to try the swap?

crazyzook

crimsonride said:
Does this mean you're deciding not to try the swap?

Oh no !
I haven't given up on the swap. I guess I'll take my time and see what I can find out from others. I hate to give up because this engine is a small not bulky engine with lots of power. I see these engines on E-Bay alot they sell for around 150.00 to 350.00 but havent seen one with the turbo yet. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again

Sounds like it could be pretty easy with one of the mazda 2wd transmitions, bolt them together hard-mount it in and fab up a little mini shaft to the t-case since it's divorced.