Ford Truck 5.0 install

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone ever done a swap using a truck 5.0? Any info would be helpful, stupid comments wouldn't. I don't want to use the Mustang 5.0 for reasons unexplainable at this time. BTW it's going in a YJ.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
From a few of my Ford-loving buddies that have done 5.0 swaps, I have learned that the only diffrence between a truck 302 and a Mustang 302 is that the Intake is quite a bit taller, making it a tight fit between the hood.

What other info are you looking for? (Hope this isn't a stupid comment.......:p)

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
The truck 5.0 would be easy if you had a complete truck with speed sensor, 02 sensors, fuel pump cutoff switch, etc. But I'd go with the HO Mustang motor cuz there's more parts available and the mass air is more forgiving to upgrades. Truck 5.0's aren't ment to be built with restricted port heads, non forged pistons, and non roller cam.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by Jeremy
Has anyone ever done a swap using a truck 5.0? Any info would be helpful, stupid comments wouldn't. I don't want to use the Mustang 5.0 for reasons unexplainable at this time. BTW it's going in a YJ.

Jeremy, why don't you come down and get my 5.0 book and put it together, they have to be some what similar. Or better yet, talk your brother into buying my Mustang, just kidding. But do come and get my book, I know they are similar and will help identify the stuff you do and don't need. You know where to find me.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
UPDATE:

It's already installed, we are just dialing the wiring this weekend. Andy, do you really think I would give your book back without copying it and dispersing it among the masses? Tisk tisk.:D