Fork seal / Tubliss questions KTM 300

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have an '04 KTM 300 exc that needs fork seals. Are they a PITA to do? The only experience I have with fork seals is swapping them in my '94 wr250 w/ rholbrook years ago which doesn't do me any good because I remember nothing about the process besides how much of a pain it was to get one of my forks off the bike.

I also have the Tubliss system in my tires. (came with the bike) The front has always leaked but would usually last most of a long ride. This year taking it out of storage, it won't hold air for 5 minutes and the rear lasts about 30 minutes. This is with the inside up at 110 psi. The inside tubes also seem to leak air quickly. I'm considering removing them and going to tubes. I never really had an issue with tubes. I just bough the heavy duty ones and didn't ever air down too much and really never had a flat. Any suggestions or tips?

I really need some seat time! Luckily we've been putting the sxs to good use but I need to get out on the bike.

Thanks!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would buy a new Tubliss inner tube and clean out the bead, new tubes are pretty cheap. If you want, you could contact the folks at Tubliss and they'll probably send you an updated Tubliss kit. The original had issues and they updated it with a much better product. They did this for me after a simple, quick phone call. I would suggest keeping them, since you have them. I loved the bikes (3 of them) that I ran the Tubliss setup on!

Far as the fork seals.... I'd rather just pay someone, but that's me. :D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I can't remember but didn't we diagnosis that your rims were pretty hammered l last time we rode? New tubes for the tubliss might help, but if they're bent up, I'd say throw some ultra HD tubes in and come ride with us!

rholbrook

Check your rims for cracks. You may just need the inner seal tape but I would call Tubliss as Greg suggested. You very well could have a hole in your tire too if it's going flat in 5 min if the inner tube holds air. If it doesn't, then that is your problem most likely.

Personally, I wouldn't pay anyone to replace my seals. It's just time and $30 in parts versus $100 per fork to have someone else do it. I would help you again but I'm off to the Kokopeli tomorrow with Steve and then staying in Moab an extra day and then off to Kansas for most of next week If it can wait a couple of weeks I would be happy to help you.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Thanks guys! I will take a look at my rims. It seems like my inner tube loses air quickly letting the rest of the air leak out.

- - - Updated - - -

Rholbrook, I might take you up on that.

Tonkaman

I don't have a seal driver for those seals but I'd be glad to help you through the process if you'd like. I've even used old seals as a driver (Strattons trick).

I've never dealt with tubliss but I'll bet it's losing air from dried out tires or bent rims.

rholbrook

I don't have a seal driver for those seals but I'd be glad to help you through the process if you'd like. I've even used old seals as a driver (Strattons trick).

I've never dealt with tubliss but I'll bet it's losing air from dried out tires or bent rims.
I can always let you use my seal driver.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You might also try some Stans tire sealant too. Your tires might have some dry rot that is not letting the inner bead tube seal the tire to the rim. Stans can be had at any pedal bike shop for around $20 a quart. You just add a small amount through the tire valve stem. I've never used it in moto Tubliss but it was manditory for mtn bike tubeless for years.