front axle for a Toy

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I know that Jeff Beach has. He built a rev. D44 to the right width for a solid front axle conversion. It turned out perfect, because the high pinion made the front driveline angle awesome. With all the toy front drivelines we do excessive angles at the t-case & f-diff are the biggest problems, so any thing you can do to relieve those angles is worth it.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
had a friend(superrunner) do it and he said that he left the short side perch alone, then shortend the long side to the width he wanted. Then he said that it is the same long side as some ford one. Might wanna look him up. He is on the board

Big78Bronco

Only question is, Why? The toyota axle is actually stronger then the 44 with the exception of the birfields, and it's cheaper to make those stout then it is to overcome the weaknesses of the 44..

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
one word......SuperBirfs.

Got to Toyotasuperaxles.com and prepare to be amazed!

People have been flogging these modified Birfs with 38's, 200 to 1 gearing in Competition and they haven't broken. And they are $115 ea, with your cores! Forget the 44 !! :D

DToy

The other thing that's nice is that you can still carry some stock axle shafts and birfs with you, and they're much cheaper than a spare custom shaft. I just wonder what else I'll be breaking if the birf is no longer the weak link? Maybe I'll be a ble to find out soon.

controlfreak

I just happen to have a spare axle housing lying around too:cool: Do they rebuild the cores you send? It sounds like running 33's will be nothing for these axles. This is half the price from Marlin or Downey. Has anyone used these yet?

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by controlfreak
I just happen to have a spare axle housing lying around too:cool: Do they rebuild the cores you send? It sounds like running 33's will be nothing for these axles. This is half the price from Marlin or Downey. Has anyone used these yet?

So they're remanufactured like the first gen Marfields from Marlin Crawler? $115 sounds good. Thanks

Yes- They have a stockpile of already modified birfs that are exchanged for your stockers. The Marfields aren't even a comparison to these, Marfields are 10% stronger. Not much better, especially for the cost. The building specs for the Super Birfs is intense. One part of the process that I've heard of is that they are frozen in Liquid Nitrogen to change the Rockwell hardness. I think Skyetone ordered a set of Super Birfs, so we'll let him be the Test Guinea pig.

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by controlfreak
:cool: Do you know what size tire he runs? I'm thinking of going to 4.88's and some 34x10 Swamper LTB's.

Forget the 4.88's! :eek: Honestly, unless your running something other than a 22r, go 5.29's. I'm running 5.29's and 35's and its PERFECT! You will regret going with 4.88's, Toyota 4 cyl's have no problem with spinning some revs down the freeway. I have had my truck up to....(gulp!).....90 mph w/ the 35's and 5.29's, and driving around town is great. You'll eventually want bigger tires, TRUST ME! 5.29's!

DToy

Yeah, I second what Greg said. I used to think the biggest tires I would ever run were 33's. Now I'm running 37's. I also run 5.29's with 35's on the street and they are fine. You'll regret having to re-gear later.

controlfreak

No problems with the 5.29 being weaker than the 4.88? I really don't think a 20R is going to generate enough torque to break it though. What's a good source for R&P sets? I'd like to put a locker in the front. Any suggestion?

Last edited:

Too Far

parts is parts
I think Skye has been running 36's, but he has a set of 40's he's itching to run.
There have been people running 38-39 inch swampers with dual cases and they are holding up on the hammers and such.
The biggest draw back to the toy axle that I see is the width. 55" is pretty narrow. Yea, you can run a spacer, but thats a bandaid as far as I see it.
I'm just in the process of swapping out my toy axle for a 44 from a 3/4 ton chev. I narrowed it to match the rear. I also rotated the knuckles to help with front driveshaft troubles. We will see how it holds up.