Fruit Trees ?

airmanwilliams

So at our new house in Provo we are thinking of planting about 5-6 dorf fruit trees in the back yard. Problem is I am not sure what grows well down here. Can some of you help me out? I would REALLY like to get a couple peach and apple if those do well and im not sure what else.

airmanwilliams

In the process of moving stuff at the moment but kind of taking our time since we paid through the 30th at our apartment in Woods Cross and my father inlaw and myself have a few repairs to do on the house with paint and plumbing.

airmanwilliams

Thank you. Im super excited to finally have some room to stretch alittle. A hectic month with the sidekick motor blowing and trying to get another running so I can swap the motors, home repairs, and trying to find a job in provo. I am REALLY excited that we will now have room for a large garden too and some fruit trees so we dont bum off of some family of mine in Highland for some good fruit off their trees.

Houndoc

We had apple and plum do very well when in West Valley. After moving to Grantsville planted Asian Pear (did fair, not great) and apricot (bloomed early and then froze every year.)

Not sure what I am going to try at our new house, either.

Brad J

We have planted Apple, Pear & Peach dwarf tree's but we keep getting Peach boars in all the Peach trees that we have planted & they end up dieing. Its a real bummer because I like peaches.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I have 2 peach trees (1 yellow, 1 white) and 3 apple trees. They are all just over 3 years old now and produce TONS of fruit...I'm talking like 100+ from each tree. Luckily, I was able to plant them in some nice sandy soil so it drains very well. The trunks on my peach trees are probably 4+ inches now...sheesh.

mombobuggy

If you can plant them where they are somewhat protected from the north wind it seems to make a big difference. With regard to freezing blossoms that is.

Brad J

Our peach trees have been dieing from the root up. First season the bottom 1/3 look dead & it keeps working its way up each year. I asked the Nursery why & they said it must be a "Peach borer" & sold me a spray. It has not made a difference but I know I don't spray them like I should. I did look up real quick & saw this

Peach Tree Borer
by W.S. Cranshaw 1 (12/08)
Quick Facts...

The peach tree borer is the most destructive insect pest of peach, cherry, plum and other stone fruits in Colorado.
The immature (larva) stage of the peach tree borer damages trees.
Peach tree borer can be difficult to control because the larval stage is not easily accessible with insecticides after it moves under the bark.
The most effective controls are preventive insecticide applications at the vulnerable egg and early larval stages.
Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) moth crystals may also help control infestations.

I could have something different killing them off all together?

Brad J

.... Luckily, I was able to plant them in some nice sandy soil so it drains very well. The trunks on my peach trees are probably 4+ inches now...sheesh.

This is probably our Peach tree problem since we have such a high water table in WX. Its funny that the other trees seem fine being in the same area.

I wish I would have planted the tree higher in the ground since they have settled.

Last edited:

Houndoc

If you can plant them where they are somewhat protected from the north wind it seems to make a big difference. With regard to freezing blossoms that is.

May help. Unfortunately I have found in our 12 years in Grantsville the last freeze averages 3 weeks or so after Salt Lakes (first freeze general about that much earlier as well- giving us a surprisingly shortened growing season for same elevation and only 40 miles away.)

airmanwilliams

Thanks for the info so far guys. I think we may try 2 peach, 2 apple, and 1 pear right now. Any thoughts on a good nursery in the provo/orem area? I would really like to get dwarf trees and (not sure on exact name) ones that done need 2 of the same kind to produce just in case one doesnt survive, I dont want to be stuck with one that wont produce because the other is dead.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Cooks on 1600 North in Lindon - West side of I-15 (and across the street from my favorite mechanic: The Torque Shop)