FS road closures around Moab

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
From an email I just received:

Hello,
I just got a call from a friend in Moab, Ray Tibbetts. He's an ex-county commissioner down there and he wanted to inform me about a public meeting they are setting up to discuss public lands and road closures.
It seems the forest service had a meeting there a short time ago and over 100 concerned citizens showed up, but the forest service people wouldn't take any pubic comments. So...the citizens are calling a public meeting and inviting the Forest Service and the BLM to attend. They are hoping for support from all over eastern Utah.
The meeting will be held on Monday, January 10 at 6:00 pm at The Grand Center in Moab - 182 North 5th West. Turn south at the Denny's restaurant as you approach town.
I don't know much more about this. If you want to contact Ray, his number is 435-259-6361.
Thanks,
T.M.

Read about this in the San Juan Record

http://www.sjrnews.com/view/full_st...ncern-grows-over-Forest-Service-road-closures?

This meeting is tonight at 6:00 PM

Grand Center
182 North 500 West
Moab, Utah

Can someone who attends tell us the scoop. Information about the meeting is hard to come by. Manti La-Sal (is | wants | plans) instituting road closures? Part of the ongoing management plan revisions, fed mandated review of travel plans, or rogue element as suggested by some of the rhetoric floating around?

If you go, or if you know, please tell us what is the source of the concern?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I received this email from a friend in Moab who was able to attend the meeting last night.

I was elated as I pulled into the parking lot at the Grand Center in Moab for the kickoff of the Sagebrush Rebellion II. There was no empty parking space to be found. Inside was a huge crowd, about 200 by my rough count. I spotted a handful of land managers, and a couple SUWA reps. The meeting was conducted by a grandson of two original Sagebrush Rebellion leaders, who were also present. On the stand was Bill Howell, and Bill Redd who have done extensive research and written a book about Utah's statehood and why the federal government owns 2/3 of its surface.

The format of the meeting was that of a public hearing, all who wished to speak were given the chance. Many spoke of traditional uses of roads and campsites. Many had been harassed or driven out of such places by recent management decisions. Although land managers were invited to participate, I did not see any speak. Much was said about the importance of being engaged and persistent. Many mentioned USA-ALL, and the importance of being an active member of such organizations. A few said they were working with land managers on a continuing basis and felt that they were trying to be helpful to our efforts, within the confines of their job descriptions.

The outcome of this meeting was very encouraging to me, as my handful of active friends and I have felt very alone for twenty years or more and have wondered if Grand County would ever wake up. It was very good to see so many citizens awake, alert, and fired up. It will be important to direct and channel that energy into productive action.

A Facebook page "Sagebrush Coalition" has been created for the movement. Moab does not have an ATV group and that has been a problem, as Ride with Respect, SPEAR, and other groups have tried to represent Grand County ATV riders without any direct input. Several individuals encouraged the creation of such a group.

When I spoke I compared USA-ALL and other such groups as insurance companies that need premium payments on a regular basis to survive and fight the battle. After the meeting I approached several of the leaders of the night's meeting and encouraged them to form a local chapter of USA-ALL rather than to try going it alone. They seemed receptive to that idea.

Scott Wheeler and several activists traveled to the meeting from Carbon and Emery Counties, and that gesture of support was much appreciated. Mike Swenson has pledged the support of USA-ALL in this fight, partly because Moab is such an icon of off road enthusiasm. All of the environment based organizations I know of have an office in Moab, and a setback to their domination of this area would be a huge symbolic victory and a blow struck for freedom.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I was also impressed with the size of the turnout and the enthusiasm of the people in attendence. I don't know the total count, but I would guess that 250-300 people showed up, maybe more! Over 40 people spoke about their experiences during the meeting. The majority of people seemed to be ATV'ers, hunters, campers, ranchers, and local Moab residents, but there were also jeepers, motorcyclists, and residents from San Juan and other counties. The primary concern seemed to be recent La Sal mountain restrictions that stemmed from a 1991 policy ruling that are just now being implemented. Restrictions include road/trail closures, restricted vehicle access to dispersed campgrounds, and restricted off-trail vehicle travel for game retrieval.

It was a good meeting, and is hopefully the start of much-needed improved activism from the local OHV crowd.

ret32

I received this email from a friend in Moab who
was able to attend the meeting last night.
...I was elated as I pulled into the parking lot at the Grand Center in Moab for the kickoff of the Sagebrush Rebellion II.

Is that what this was? Sagebrush Rebellion II? I'm all for that, I hope it gets legs and continues. I'm very proud of the Sagebrush Rebellion references on the 2009 Take Back Utah shirts and wear it with pride.