Fuel cells and fuel cell mounts

Pile of parts

Fuel cell and fuel cell mount question.
My RCI 17 gallon finally split a seam.
My question is if I switch to the 2161A (15 gallon) and use a mount like the Barnes

Will I have any better luck or should I just look for something other than RCI? The seam that split was one of the vertical seams on the end of the cell. I had it strapped down in the Jeep with plumbers tape and rubber lining under the tape/straps. Nothing bracing the corners and the Barnes mount wouldn't brace the corners either. I may just re-weld the cell I have now but I hear they just tend to crack again.

I'll be happy to hear your thoughts...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Same thing happened to me a while ago and I was looking for alternatives but ultimately settled on a summit racing tank (which was obviously build by RCI) but the welds looked a tad better.

Still running it with no problems since then, but I'm not convinced it will last forever.

Asbjorn

Glad we got a quick fix to get you through the weekend!

Are you stuck with something that will fit where your old one went, or do you have some room to work with? The consensus I’ve seen is that these readily available aluminum cells aren’t built for the applications we use them for, unless you’re using it in a very rigid chassis that doesn’t put any torsion on the cell. When I was building the YJ, the feedback I received was that builds such as that (and yours) still tend to twist a bit. The last two cells I’ve used were the RCI Rockcrawler and a JAZ, both of which are a poly cells inside a steel shell.

RockChucker

I have a cell that I designed and built but for my next build will likely get one of the rotomolded poly cells from goatbuilt. They are 18 gal if I remember right. But not sure if the form factor is right for your rig

Pile of parts

Still running it with no problems since then, but I'm not convinced it will last forever.
I think I got about 8 years out of this one.

Are you stuck with something that will fit where your old one went, or do you have some room to work with?
I'd like to keep in this size range. I still have a back seat - for whatever reason???

for my next build will likely get one of the rotomolded poly cells from goatbuilt
I'll look at those.

I have a steel cell with a poly bladder for that reason.
I've been looking at those and I think there is one that fits in the location I have.

Pile of parts

So I finally decided on a solution. It showed up yesterday. This is the"rockcrawler" version that is a steel can with a bladder. It's a little different size than I had and may take some modification or removal of the rear seat. We don't ever use the seat, other than when I used to take scout groups on trips to Moab but those days are over. Now I just have to convince my wife we don't need it or I may sink this one into the floor and keep the seat.20221012_161614.jpg